KayBee23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am currently doing the exam board MEI and I'm doing S1 and C1. C1 isn't so hard but S1 I am struggling with. We're moving onto probability now and I don't understand things like outliers and standard deviation
sdvds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KayBee23)
I am currently doing the exam board MEI and I'm doing S1 and C1. C1 isn't so hard but S1 I am struggling with. We're moving onto probability now and I don't understand things like outliers and standard deviation
go hard
Mini-Minion
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in the exact same position! Looll I'm hating S1 so much right now, we've just finished chapters 3 and 4 .. How you finding it? How do you revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
avfcfan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did AS Maths last year, and I could say I wasn't at a situation to far way from you. I coped with C1 and C2 well, as it seemed like a continuation of concepts from the module it was following on from. However I found S1 extremely boring so much that I had to force myself to revise it. I found some of the new idea's pretty tricky too but that was because of my teacher being absolute drivel, as looking back the topics weren't inconceivable. So try using programs like exam solutions to help you out as S1 is a pretty straightforward module. Being on the mei board, I was introduced to permutations and combinations and that was overwhelming to say the least. But going over it on different programs, I had the assertion that it wasn't that difficult to get your head around.
Also, do plenty of practice on probability and perms & combs as unlike the other topics they can ask you a wide array of things. The rest are straightforwards, and feels like following a set of instructions using a bit of applied thinking.

S1 may seem hard but in truth its just boring which could lead to brain cells falling asleep when trying to solve a question. Some questions may be confusing, but just practice them. I ended up getting 86% on my S1 paper to my surprise, and will be waiting to see whats in store for me when I do S2 this year.
KayBee23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mini-Minion)
I'm in the exact same position! Looll I'm hating S1 so much right now, we've just finished chapters 3 and 4 .. How you finding it? How do you revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it soooooo boring and honestly I don't know HOW to revise for it because I'm not confident with the things we're learning. I partly ble the teacher but yeah
KayBee23
Rep:
?
(Original post by avfcfan)
I did AS Maths last year, and I could say I wasn't at a situation to far way from you. I coped with C1 and C2 well, as it seemed like a continuation of concepts from the module it was following on from. However I found S1 extremely boring so much that I had to force myself to revise it. I found some of the new idea's pretty tricky too but that was because of my teacher being absolute drivel, as looking back the topics weren't inconceivable. So try using programs like exam solutions to help you out as S1 is a pretty straightforward module. Being on the mei board, I was introduced to permutations and combinations and that was overwhelming to say the least. But going over it on different programs, I had the assertion that it wasn't that difficult to get your head around.
Also, do plenty of practice on probability and perms & combs as unlike the other topics they can ask you a wide array of things. The rest are straightforwards, and feels like following a set of instructions using a bit of applied thinking.

S1 may seem hard but in truth its just boring which could lead to brain cells falling asleep when trying to solve a question. Some questions may be confusing, but just practice them. I ended up getting 86% on my S1 paper to my surprise, and will be waiting to see whats in store for me when I do S2 this year.
Thanks for the advice and you really got me. It's true it's really boring aha! I just need to get my head around it but I don't even know how to revise for it :/
avfcfan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KayBee23)
Thanks for the advice and you really got me. It's true it's really boring aha! I just need to get my head around it but I don't even know how to revise for it :/
If you're doing MEI I know of some really good workbooks that first explain the topic, then contain questions with instructions on the side on how to approach that certain question properly. It helps a lot especially with probability
http://alphaworkbooks.co.uk/online/i...&product_id=89
They're only £4 and contain all you need to ace your S1 exam.
Like you said its boring and can be a task getting your head round some of it, but going through it step by step helps alot. Its essentially just interpreting numbers in a series of steps imo
okcherubble88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
s1 was absolutely tragic, so unbelievably boring D: luckily the exam questions dont vary a lot though (literally only the wording does) so for me, the exam was alright
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads