Should Britain return the Parthenon Marbles to Greece?

Watch
Poll: Should Britain return the Parthenon Marbles to Greece?
Yes (14)
40%
No (21)
60%
intheTSRspirit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If yes, the reason is obvious. If not, why?
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is that in the Acropolis?
JamieMT92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Greeks rabbiting on about the marbles is just a political play to try and divert attention from their decrepit economy, Its a very common tactic at the moment, just look at the Spanish (also screwed) with Gibraltar and the Argentinians (also screwed) with the Falklands.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JamieMT92)
The Greeks rabbiting on about the marbles is just a political play to try and divert attention from their decrepit economy, Its a very common tactic at the moment, just look at the Spanish (also screwed) with Gibraltar and the Argentinians (also screwed) with the Falklands.
Have a like.

What he said.

It's a tried and tested strategy that when a government is unpopular or in difficulty, either blame somebody else for the trouble, or find a suitable distraction to make the electorate feel wronged someway.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by intheTSRspirit)
If yes, the reason is obvious. If not, why?
It might be easier if we buy the rest of the building and ship it to Swindon (the Athens of the West)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...oric-buildings
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hmmm they should force the French to pay for the Acropolis to be repaired.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JamieMT92)
That might be true, but does that make their claim on them any less valid?

Britian looted them, we ought to return them if we have any decency at all.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Only if you regard getting an export permit from the government as looting
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Only if you regard getting an export permit from the government as looting
From the Ottoman government, the foreign occupying power at the time. The Greeks had no say in the removal of a priceless piece of their history.

Would it have been acceptable for someone to buy the contents of the Louvre from the Nazis in 1940?

Had the Nazis occupied London, would you have found it acceptable for them to grant an export permit of the Domesday book, to say Turkey?

It is clearly wrong. Wrong then, and wrong now.
MindTheGaps
Report 6 years ago

Rubbish. Lord Elgin took them because they were in danger of being destroyed. If it weren't for the Brits they would have long been broken down for quicklime, and there wouldn't be anything to argue over.

What claim of ownership does Greece really have? Other than, 'they were here once'? Unfortunately that's not how the law works.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rinsed)
Rubbish. Lord Elgin took them because they were in danger of being destroyed. If it weren't for the Brits they would have long been broken down for quicklime, and there wouldn't be anything to argue over.

What claim of ownership does Greece really have? Other than, 'they were here once'? Unfortunately that's not how the law works.
What a wonderful act of altruism from us Brits! What wonderful chaps we were. Now, let's complete the act and return them, safe in the knowledge that they will be cared for properly in their rightful place.

What claim does Greece have? That they never consented to their removal? That they are as Greek as Stonehedge is British?
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
From the Ottoman government, the foreign occupying power at the time. The Greeks had no say in the removal of a priceless piece of their history.

Would it have been acceptable for someone to buy the contents of the Louvre from the Nazis in 1940?

Had the Nazis occupied London, would you have found it acceptable for them to grant an export permit of the Domesday book, to say Turkey?

It is clearly wrong. Wrong then, and wrong now.
They weren't a foreign occupying power. They were the lawful internationally accepted government and had been for 400 years.

A more realistic example would be where the UK has over the last 40 years given export licences for sales of works of art from Scottish country houses. If Scotland had voted for independence could Salmond have demanded all these items back from America or wherever?
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They weren't a foreign occupying power. They were the lawful internationally accepted government and had been for 400 years.

A more realistic example would be where the UK has over the last 40 years given export licences for sales of works of art from Scottish country houses. If Scotland had voted for independence could Salmond have demanded all these items back from America or wherever?
The Scottish people democratically consent to having the UK government represent them The Ottomans were an occupying power in the true sense of the word. The Greeks were powerless to prevent them selling their pieces.

If the UK government had sold the Book of Kells in 1920 however, I think Ireland would be quite right in demanding their return.
Gwilym101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, the ruling government of Greece at the time gave permission for their removal.

You don't get to change your mind after you've given away some of your priceless artefacts. They could try buying them back but that's it.

The british museum isn't the only museum with this sort of artwork and this line of reasoning could justify empty every museum in the world by insisting that artefacts be returned to their country of origin.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Scottish people democratically consent to having the UK government represent them
You mean those ancestors of the Scottish people who were (a) alive in 1707 and (b) had the vote, democratically consented to having the UK government represent them.

You cannot use democracy as a touchstone of legitimacy here. Legitimacy has to be about international recognition of the legitimacy of a government.
Zürich
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You mean those ancestors of the Scottish people who were (a) alive in 1707 and (b) had the vote, democratically consented to having the UK government represent them.

You cannot use democracy as a touchstone of legitimacy here. Legitimacy has to be about international recognition of the legitimacy of a government.
What about decency? Doing what is simply right?

I am ashamed that we continue to hold them.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What about decency? Doing what is simply right?
Why is it right?
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

What about the recent Scottish Referendum?
InsertWittyName
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tbh I'm pretty sure the British museum attracts more people than any museum in Greece, and is free for everyone. Personally I think that means a lot more people can appreciate it so it makes sense for the artifacts to be here. It's not like it's the Bill of Rights or the Magna Carta or any sort of constitutional artifact of that state that details the rights of those people. They're sculptures made a 2,500 odd years ago in an ancient civilisation that doesn't exist any more. I seriously doubt the people in Greece who are getting up arms about this can trace their lineage back to the ancient Greeks- chances are their forefathers were immigrants to the country. So it isn't really 'their' history anymore than Boudicca is a part of mine. The only real reason I can see for giving the artifacts back is it makes logical sense for the artifacts to be surrounded by the the Ancient Greek ruins.

The history of an ancient civilisation doesn't really belong to anybody. It should be wherever it can be available to the most people who can appreciate it. Just seems like the Greeks are trying to divert their attention away from more worrying problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads