The Student Room Group

Short Story

For my English Literature AS, I need to write a short story that is max 825 words MAX and 725 MIN. So my story will be about an execution. A book that I have read inspired me to do just that.

Could you tell me how it is so far?
Here goes...

Jerusalem, 1204

GONG.

The church bells struck loud and ferocious which sent hearts stopping deadly in their tracks. The now hushed market place that momentarily had laughter in the air, ceased to exist. Men, women and even children had been startled by the alarming, yet recognisable sound. Even bony stray dogs howled in despair. Richard knew well to seek refuge whenever that sound made contact with his senses. That sound meant something; a warning. Richard wondered what was amiss, for he knew certainly that something was amiss. These were dark days, of course. During this horrible Crusade, Jerusalem suffered with famine and disease. The regular low-born wore the same ragged brown thin fabric that barely held insulation, whilst the rich grow richer from peasants. Soldiers flooded the market place; they’re armour creaking in their wake. The Templar cross engulfed the area as a soldier shouted “People of Jerusalem, retreat to your quarters. You shall all gather tomorrow before sun set at Central Field.

Tell me how it is. Thanks :smile:
Bump
Reply 2
Original post by Dumbledore'sArmy
For my English Literature AS, I need to write a short story that is max 825 words MAX and 725 MIN. So my story will be about an execution. A book that I have read inspired me to do just that.

Could you tell me how it is so far?
Here goes...

Jerusalem, 1204

GONG.

The church bells struck loud and ferocious which sent hearts stopping deadly in their tracks. The now hushed market place that momentarily had laughter in the air, ceased to exist. Men, women and even children had been startled by the alarming, yet recognisable sound. Even bony stray dogs howled in despair. Richard knew well to seek refuge whenever that sound made contact with his senses. That sound meant something; a warning. Richard wondered what was amiss, for he knew certainly that something was amiss. These were dark days, of course. During this horrible Crusade, Jerusalem suffered with famine and disease. The regular low-born wore the same ragged brown thin fabric that barely held insulation, whilst the rich grow richer from peasants. Soldiers flooded the market place; they’re armour creaking in their wake. The Templar cross engulfed the area as a soldier shouted “People of Jerusalem, retreat to your quarters. You shall all gather tomorrow before sun set at Central Field.

Tell me how it is. Thanks :smile:

I loved it definitely engaging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Norin
I loved it definitely engaging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! I just keep re-reading it, because I really want to get an A for this coursework. It's really important to me. I know this hasn't got anything to do with the thread, but do you have any tips?
Reply 4
Original post by Dumbledore'sArmy
Thanks so much! I just keep re-reading it, because I really want to get an A for this coursework. It's really important to me. I know this hasn't got anything to do with the thread, but do you have any tips?

I am sure that you would at least get an A:smile: Firsty stop reading it, when you keep on reading your mind just thinks it's the same thing over and over again, only read it at most three times, then ask someone else. The only thing I could say is that it looks bunched up, you need another paragraph, other than that all is well.:biggrin:
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Norin
I am sure that you would at least get an A:smile: Firsty stop reading it, when you keep on reading your mind just thinks it's the same thing over and over again, only read it at most three times, then ask someone else. The only thing I could say is that it looks bunched up, you need another paragraph, other than that all is well.:biggrin:
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great advice thanks. I must work on it now..(and stop with the re-reading :biggrin:)

Oh and i'll send you the end product if you don't mind :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest