How much does undegraduate grades matter? Watch

0kelvin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm still far away from Masters and even more from PhD, but how much does undegraduate grades matter? My current situation is a lot of fails and 0s, so how much would that give an appalling impression in the future?

To give a bit of context: the uni here is public and there are no rules about failing or low grades. There are rules about consecutive failures in consecutive semesters, being absent for consecutive semesters and a time limit for completing the credits though.
WestieLover1993
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've been looking into PhDs and they mostly seem to ask for a 2:1 or above, but they might look at individual cases. I'm doing a Masters myself, so I couldn't say for sure. Most Masters tend to ask for at least a 2:2. I suppose really it depends where you're planning to apply and how strict they when looking at your undergraduate grades.
0kelvin
Rep:
?
Just checked Warwick's requirements (googled for "2:1 degree" and ended up there). They say that 7.5 in here would be equivalent to 2:1 in UK, 6.5 to 2:2.

Does that mean that if I finish my degree with, say, 5.5 here, I would be required a entirely new degree to meet the 2:1 standard? If I understood it right, that's sad.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can get into some UK Masters courses with a 2:2, but you'd seriously struggle with a 3rd.

Whether this applies to International/EU students can vary between universities and courses. However if you're not achieving academically at undergrad level, it does indicate that you might struggle at Masters level. They're much more concentrated and intense than a degree. Certainly a series of undergrad fails and zeros wouldn't suggest a future as a PhD researcher.
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on which country and at which foreign university you are studying right now. But to keep it short: Grades mean everything in the UK, wether your undergraduate was actually academically challenging or not, does not matter. Thus:
a) Will you have a chance with a 2:2? => Very unlikely.
b) Does your bad grades now mean you wouldn't be able to take up a PHD anyway? It totally depends where and at which university you do your undergrad now, because grades and selection methods vary over Europe as well as wether a Master will be more difficult or easier than a undergrad for you, so just work hard and think about a PHD, when it is time for it.
Mathmatician
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What do you want to do a masters in? And what year are you in?
Depending on subject, a 2:2 is acceptable in some universities.
0kelvin
Rep:
?
I'm in an atmospheric science program, so probably should be continuing in that in a Masters. But for Masters I'll hardly be doing it abroad.

Year 2 out of 5 required, but with so many failures, won't be completing in the next 3 years.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sure you can get yourself into a master's degree in some unaccredited university with lots of money, but would you want that?

Depending on which university you go for, 2:2 is OK, 3 is really stretching it, a degree without honours basically means you don't have a degree. But you can have work experience to compensate.
Estee92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a friend who got into a top RG uni for a masters with a 2:2, but I think it would be a big big struggle if you had a third. If I've read it right you haven't completed you degree yet? Still time to improve your grade then! Don't give up yet
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%