The Student Room Group

Anyone considering 2016 entry for Medicine?

Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone else is considering applying for 2016 entry to medicine, now that this year's applications have been submitted? It seems surreal to think that this time next year it will have been us who will have applied!

I know we've still got a few months before we really need to start deciding future plans, but I just thought this would be a good opportunity to get talking to other prospective medical students! :smile:

So,
- What are your current stats?
- What are you studying for A Level?
- Which universities are you thinking of applying to right now?

As for me:
14 A*s

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Language. I have already finished AS Level Religious Studies, with an A.

I'm considering applying to Oxford, had never thought about it before and doubt I'd get in, but I guess it'd be worth a try! I also love UCL, Kings, Glasgow and Bristol.

I look forward to hearing from other people, and good luck to all of those who have just submitted their applications for 2015 entry:smile:

Here's the medicine connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Your GCSEs are awesome, as for me 6A*s and 5As.
Currently doing Biology, Chemistry , Maths and Physics.
Unis: I'm thinking imperial, nottingham or UEA but right now it's all about smashing AS and UKCAT!!
Reply 2
Original post by Joshua697
Your GCSEs are awesome, as for me 6A*s and 5As.
Currently doing Biology, Chemistry , Maths and Physics.
Unis: I'm thinking imperial, nottingham or UEA but right now it's all about smashing AS and UKCAT!!

Aw thank you so much, genuinely didn't expect them at all :smile: Yours are fantastic too!!
I also like the look of Imperial, I went to UCL a few months ago and loved it, so may take a trip to Imperial and see how it compares :smile:

I am dreading the UKCAT!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
Aw thank you so much, genuinely didn't expect them at all :smile: Yours are fantastic too!!
I also like the look of Imperial, I went to UCL a few months ago and loved it, so may take a trip to Imperial and see how it compares :smile:

I am dreading the UKCAT!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got much voluntary work/ work experience at the moment? The only thing I've just started is voluntary work at a care home, hospital work is just too hard to find
Reply 4
Have you got much voluntary work/ work experience at the moment? The only thing I've just started is voluntary work at a care home, hospital work is just too hard to find

How long have you been volunteering in the care home?
I have clinical work observation scheduled for July (took ages to organise) and hopefully a week shadowing in a hospital coming up within the next couple of months. I also do work with disabled children, St John's, helped in a girl guiding unit and mentor/tutor people :smile: I'm finding it super difficult to find full-time volunteering work as I have a job already so it's fitting it all in, although I'm going to try and find something in the next month or so I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
How long have you been volunteering in the care home?
I have clinical work observation scheduled for July (took ages to organise) and hopefully a week shadowing in a hospital coming up within the next couple of months. I also do work with disabled children, work with St John's, helped in a girl guiding unit and mentor/tutor people :smile: I'm finding it super difficult to find full-time volunteering work as I have a job already so it's fitting it all in, although I'm going to try and find something in the next month or so I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I started 3 weeks ago but it was my school that offered it, how much work experience would you think is sufficient? 2-3 weeks? I'm trying to find places at eye hospitals because that's probably what I find most interesting
Reply 6
Well I started 3 weeks ago but it was my school that offered it, how much work experience would you think is sufficient? 2-3 weeks? I'm trying to find places at eye hospitals because that's probably what I find most interesting

I'd say 2-3 weeks would be sufficient enough! From what I've heard people around me saying the universities are looking for the quality of the work experience, not the quantity. If you could get experience at an eye hospital then that would be amazing for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say 2-3 weeks would be sufficient enough! From what I've heard people around me saying the universities are looking for the quality of the work experience, not the quantity. If you could get experience at an eye hospital then that would be amazing for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! How are you finding your subjects at the minute? For me the work hasn't been too bad, it's just the amount we get!
Reply 8
Thanks! How are you finding your subjects at the minute? For me the work hasn't been too bad, it's just the amount we get!

I'm the same actually, I haven't found it too bad so far! If I'm not understanding something then I say, something I never did at GCSE and regretted enormously!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the same actually, I haven't found it too bad so far! If I'm not understanding something then I say, something I never did at GCSE and regretted enormously!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! I think I could have pushed a couple of my A's to A* had I asked for help in certain areas
Reply 10
Exactly! I think I could have pushed a couple of my A's to A* had I asked for help in certain areas

At least we can learn from those mistakes so they don't happen again at A Level!

Posted from TSR Mobile
At least we can learn from those mistakes so they don't happen again at A Level!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :smile:
Reply 12
GCSE : 1A* 5A's 2B's 1C 1D Really bad, I know :frown:
A Level Subjects : Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Psychology
Universities : Any four from Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Exeter, Barts, York
Voluntary Work : 2 Hours Weekly at a Hospice since February 2014, organising 1 week at Vitalise for Christmas
Work Experience : None so far but hopefully a week at Hospital or GP during the Summer holidays
Reply 14
Original post by Shabbii12
GCSE : 1A* 5A's 2B's 1C 1D Really bad, I know :frown:
A Level Subjects : Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Psychology
Universities : Any four from Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Exeter, Barts, York
Voluntary Work : 2 Hours Weekly at a Hospice since February 2014, organising 1 week at Vitalise for Christmas
Work Experience : None so far but hopefully a week at Hospital or GP during the Summer holidays

They're not really bad, and there's always A Levels!! :smile:
Your voluntary work sounds really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're not really bad, and there's always A Levels!! :smile:
Your voluntary work sounds really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and I guess my GCSE grades aren't the worst although they're nothing compared to your 14 A*'s :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Shabbii12
Thank you and I guess my GCSE grades aren't the worst although they're nothing compared to your 14 A*'s :wink:

It's not all about the academics though :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not all about the academics though :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lets just hope that the medical schools that I'm applying to don't penalise me for my average GCSE performance. :smile:
I'm considering it! It all depends on my AS results :biggrin:

I have 8 A*s, 4 As and an A in Further Maths

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry,Maths and PE! My schools trying to get me to do the Global Perspectives Pre U though as well..

This is hard to decide without AS Results and UKCAT but I like the look of Edinburgh,UEA,Lancaster and Manchester :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by kdizzle97
I'm considering it! It all depends on my AS results :biggrin:

I have 8 A*s, 4 As and an A in Further Maths

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry,Maths and PE! My schools trying to get me to do the Global Perspectives Pre U though as well..

This is hard to decide without AS Results and UKCAT but I like the look of Edinburgh,UEA,Lancaster and Manchester :smile:

What's Global Perspectives, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply