The Student Room Group

M1 Kinematics

What do I do when two particles pass through a point 1 second from each other? It is question 16 (Exercise 2B) from the Edexcel M1 book (the orange one)
Thank you!
Original post by MathMeister
What do I do when two particles pass through a point 1 second from each other? It is question 16 (Exercise 2B) from the Edexcel M1 book (the orange one)
Thank you!

Need the question
Original post by TenOfThem
Need the question

Two particles P and Q are moving along the straight horizontal line with constant accelertion 2ms^-2 and 3.6ms^-2 respectively. At time t=0, P passes through a point A with speed 4ms^-1. One second later Q passes through A with speed 3ms^-1, moving in the same direction as P.

A) Write down expressions for the displacements of P and Q from A, in terms of t, where t seconds is the time after P has passes through A.
b) Find the value of t where the particles meet.
c) Find the distance of A from the point here the particles meet.
Thanks- I've thought of t+ or - 1

does this mean you do not need help
Reply 4
Two particles P and Q are moving along the straight horizontal line with constant accelertion 2ms^-2 and 3.6ms^-2 respectively. At time t=0, P passes through a point A with speed 4ms^-1. One second later Q passes through A with speed 3ms^-1, moving in the same direction as P.

A) Write down expressions for the displacements of P and Q from A, in terms of t, where t seconds is the time after P has passes through A.
b) Find the value of t where the particles meet.
c) Find the distance of A from the point here the particles meet.

At t=1, Q has just past the origin. At t=2 it has been going for one second, at t=3 it has been going for 2 seconds. Do you see the relationship? At a time t, how long has the particle been travelling for, and just write an expression in terms of that.

Quick Reply

Latest