Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone here hoping to go to university in Manchester next year? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone here is looking to go to university in Manchester either this year, or after a year out. Which accommodation appealed to you, what grades do you need, what course etc.

I need BBC to get on the economics course and Manchester University. I ended up with 4 rejections (UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and Bristol) and just 2 offers (Edinburgh and Manchester). Edinburgh is one of my all time favourite places but I was put off because it is so far from any family if I need help, and because it's expensive. I wasn't sure about Manchester until I went to look round, and I promptly fell in love with it. The city was buzzing and had a great atmosphere and the university itself, well I liked it to say the least.

As regards accommodation, well their accommodation open day was the day after my 18th birthday so I'd decided I wasn't even going to try and get up there. I got a friend who was looking round to take a digital camera around with him, and made up my mind on the basis of the pictures and what he said. I knew I wanted self-catering, as I've been at boarding school for 5 years and don't want to eat from a canteen ever again. I like cooking for myself, and I'll get to be ultimately flexible. I also liked the idea of being in flats, eg 8 of so people with their own study bedrooms sharing a kitchen and lounge, so I was quiclkly able to come up with a short list. In the end I went for Richmond Park, it's modern and very comfortable, and smack bang in the student village.

Anyway if I want to get to Manchester, I probably should go and do some work for my 2 A levels tomorrow (physics and economics!). Good luck to those of you who still have exams to do.

All the best,
    Ed

Manchester's my insurance, they also offered me BBC for Economics

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I won't be applying untill next year but Manchester will be somewhere in my list of choices. I'll be trying to visit most of the unis on open days to get a solid idea of what to put down as my 6 choices.

Computer Science by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm from near manchester myself and it's where i'm planing on going (if i get the grades).

I've always liked Manchester, seems much friendlier than the other uni's I visited. (and not so far away I can't take laundry home )

I went to the accomodation day myself, it seems pretty standard wherever you go : u get a shoebox to live in and a washbasin if your lucky! major things with deciding on where to live are cost, and what the atmosphere of the place is like ...

Planning to do Computing and Maths myself, looking round the department it looks good, and the people I spoke to seemed happy there...

Rob

i am from manchester and it's one of the best places around. A couple of no go areas for some ppl, but a great place to live.

The closer to the city centre you can get, the better. Everywhere is buzzing all the time

I went to see my mate, who studies at Manchester uni, quite a bit last year and I thought it was one of the best places I've been to in the UK. There's always stuff going on, and everyone seems much friendlier than places in the south.
    My mate was staying in Owen's Park which is massive and you can guarantee that you'll have a good time living there.... the bar is dirt cheap too which is always good
    Also owens park is right on the busiest bus route in europe (so I've heard) which means busses all the time and easy access to places around the city. It's easy to get to Rusholme which is just full of curry-houses... literally.. there must be over 50!! Good if you like a curry or a late-night kebab!
    There are also alot of cheap nights out in the clubs around the town centre. All music tastes are catered for, but I'm into my indie music and there is no better place for indie clubs than Manchester.
    Hope this helps

Manchester sucks dont go there.

The University of Manchester is absorbing umist up arnt they or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    The University of Manchester is absorbing umist up arnt they or something?
    They are merging to become one big uni which will be very good.

I don't want to go to uni in Manchester, though, it's too close to home.

whereabouts are you

ReputationRep:
    whereabouts are you
    East Lancs, about a 35/40 min drive from Manchester uni.

so you dont live in manchester, you go there often or something?

ReputationRep:
    so you dont live in manchester, you go there often or something?
    Yes, we're going tommorrow, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to the Uni of Manchester; they offered me ABB for History but let me in with BBB (nice of them) I hear it is fantastic and the people there were so nice; I chose it for 3 reasons;

1. It is a well established Uni with a good reputation, and doesn't come off as one of those snobish Univeristies like Cambridge, Bristol, Warwick etc. (No offence to anyone on this board but that is how I feel about them; and I would rather not get into a debate about it)

2. They just seemed so much more friendly and helpful during the whole open day period.

3. My History teacher went there and he is probably the smartest most down to earth person I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Hello everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone here is looking to go to university in Manchester either this year, or after a year out. Which accommodation appealed to you, what grades do you need, what course etc.

I need BBC to get on the economics course and Manchester University. I ended up with 4 rejections (UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and Bristol) and just 2 offers (Edinburgh and Manchester). Edinburgh is one of my all time favourite places but I was put off because it is so far from any family if I need help, and because it's expensive. I wasn't sure about Manchester until I went to look round, and I promptly fell in love with it. The city was buzzing and had a great atmosphere and the university itself, well I liked it to say the least.

As regards accommodation, well their accommodation open day was the day after my 18th birthday so I'd decided I wasn't even going to try and get up there. I got a friend who was looking round to take a digital camera around with him, and made up my mind on the basis of the pictures and what he said. I knew I wanted self-catering, as I've been at boarding school for 5 years and don't want to eat from a canteen ever again. I like cooking for myself, and I'll get to be ultimately flexible. I also liked the idea of being in flats, eg 8 of so people with their own study bedrooms sharing a kitchen and lounge, so I was quiclkly able to come up with a short list. In the end I went for Richmond Park, it's modern and very comfortable, and smack bang in the student village.

Anyway if I want to get to Manchester, I probably should go and do some work for my 2 A levels tomorrow (physics and economics!). Good luck to those of you who still have exams to do.

All the best,
    Ed
    Hi,I'm from China. I'm hoping and planning 2 go 2 manchester university for my postgraduate study next year. Now I'm preparing for the applying materials. Writing a unique and wonderful personal statement is really hard. I don't know how to impress them and make me different from others. Maybe I'll apply both manchester uni and UMIST . I want 2 go manchester so much cause i love manchester united. I'm interested in HR and Hospital management and advertising.Could u please tell me what kind of subjects do manchester uni offer and give me some tips on personal statement? and what do u think abt the major of project management?

ReputationRep:
    Meow - Yep if you like Indie Manchester is great! I seem to be in out of 42nd Street and 5th Ave night clubs all the time now! I even know the bouncers at 5th ave now!

I love 5th ave as I always see people I know there.

Also I can confirm that the Piccidally to Oxford Road (junction of booth st) is the busiest bus route in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I have a question : im looking for a student that goes to a college in manchester area named Rob Smith born -84.
    I have tried to find him but no good luck yet.
    I met him on my vacation to Crete Rethymnon summer 2003 july/august.

Does anyone know any way to get intouch with a student in machester?

Have a great weekend by the way..

Karin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karin)
    Hi Everyone,

I have a question : im looking for a student that goes to a college in manchester area named Rob Smith born -84.

Karin
    Hey Karin, is that you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karin)
    Hi Everyone,

Karin
    Hey Karin,
    Try email [email protected]. That is the normal format of Manchester Uni student's email address.

If no joy, email me (cos I might not get a reply you post here) and I'll look him up on the university student email database.

Ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    East Lancs, about a 35/40 min drive from Manchester uni.
    I come from East Lancs too!

Where abouts do you come from?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.