The Student Room Group

Thinking about Degrees...

I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and German for AS. I plan to drop German at A2, as I think an AS is enough to prove that I can learn a language and for me to obtain all the benefits of a language. That leaves me with Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I actually enjoy all 3 quite a lot but Chemistry and Psychology are easily my favourites.

I was planning to do a degree in Psychology but from researching around the internet, I found that there is such a stigma around a Psychology degree that it is worthless and a softer subject.

Are there any degrees that will combine my love for Psychology and Chemistry to make a degree that will be more challenging and creditable?
I know Neurobiology is one option, but are there any more?
Original post by Nisr123
I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and German for AS. I plan to drop German at A2, as I think an AS is enough to prove that I can learn a language and for me to obtain all the benefits of a language. That leaves me with Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I actually enjoy all 3 quite a lot but Chemistry and Psychology are easily my favourites.

I was planning to do a degree in Psychology but from researching around the internet, I found that there is such a stigma around a Psychology degree that it is worthless and a softer subject.

Are there any degrees that will combine my love for Psychology and Chemistry to make a degree that will be more challenging and creditable?

When you mean you did research-- you weren't listening to prepubescent whinings on TSR perchance?

Psychology isn't really a bad degree. Its just more like a a humanities degree in terms of it doesn't give you a fixed employment option after graduating (in the same way that engineering or computer science would). In essence. its hard to do a psychology related job after graduating because there are so many graduates and few psychology posts (whether its research, clinical or education psychology).
Original post by Nisr123

Go on UCAS and search for the courses. Just type in psychology and chemistry and see what comes up and look into it. Keele University does a Biochemistry and Psychology degree which is a mixture of all 3, and Manchester Met do a Forensic Science / Psychology which is a mix of chemistry and psychology. Hope that helps :smile:
To be honest, Psychology is seen as a 'soft' degree and there are far more Psychology graduates than there are jobs. Yes, most graduate schemes don't require a specific degree but an employer will still look more favourably upon a History degree for example.

Nevertheless, Psychology at a top university will be much better than History at a mediocre one. With degrees like Psychology its important therefore, to attend a very good University to make sure you're seen as a good candidate for a job from the get-go.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
To be honest, Psychology is seen as a 'soft' degree and there are far more Psychology graduates than there are jobs. Yes, most graduate schemes don't require a specific degree but an employer will still look more favourably upon a History degree for example.

Nevertheless, Psychology at a top university will be much better than History at a mediocre one. With degrees like Psychology its important therefore, to attend a very good University to make sure you're seen as a good candidate for a job from the get-go.

How do you know that a history degree will be looked at more favourably? Im not saying that it might not be true, but lets say for a job in a consultancy firm or marketing- why would the employer value the skills learnt from a history degree more than a psychology degree? For lots of generic graduate jobs your own skills and extra-curricular activities/interests will more of a deciding factor?
Original post by iammichealjackson
How do you know that a history degree will be looked at more favourably? Im not saying that it might not be true, but lets say for a job in a consultancy firm or marketing- why would the employer value the skills learnt from a history degree more than a psychology degree? For lots of generic graduate jobs your own skills and extra-curricular activities/interests will more of a deciding factor?

I was making a very general point and generally speaking a history degree (depending on the University you went) is seen as more 'traditional' than psychology.
What about neuroscience? That's like a mix of bio/chem and psychology?
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
I was making a very general point and generally speaking a history degree (depending on the University you went) is seen as more 'traditional' than psychology.

so a classics degree would be better than a physics degree? I dont think employers care that much about how old your degree subject is. a lot of other things matter in a CV far more! History, English Lit, Psychology, if you put yourself in shoes of an employer why would it really matter that much?
Original post by iammichealjackson
so a classics degree would be better than a physics degree? I dont think employers care that much about how old your degree subject is. a lot of other things matter in a CV far more! History, English Lit, Psychology, if you put yourself in shoes of an employer why would it really matter that much?

Your not getting my point. Classics and Physics degrees are both very respected. In general terms Psychology is seen as a somewhat softer subject. That is not to say that you won't get a job with it. Extra Curricula's and work experience is far far more important than the degree name in most sectors.

Quick Reply