The Student Room Group

Doing nursing with a mental illness

Hey :smile:
I want to do a nursing degree so am looking at applying for next September. I've actually just dropped out of uni for mh reasons and I wanted to do nursing not the course I was doing.

While I really want to do nursing I am worried my mental health history will mean I can't. I have diagnosed illnesses of boarderline personality disorder and ptsd, as well as depression (which I no longer have) and a history of abuse. On top of this I have a rather long history of attempted suicide and self harm (starting from when I was 8 and I'm now 18). This will all show on me medical records including the fact I've had 3 psychiatric admissions. Also I have had multiple holding sections from medical staff and police and incidents with the police (although I don't have a criminal record).

Despite how bad it all sounds in the last year I've been doing really well I've made so much progress. I did have a quite big slip up recently for a week but I feel like I'm back on track again. I have worked in care homes and my mh has never effected my work and I do know how to handle it a lot better. But I do see cmht (adult mental health team).

But because of how severe my illness has been and the things I have done I am worried a nursing course just won't take me. Even if I am getting better. Also I guess a year seems like it was so soon ago, but things have changed in a lot of ways.
Does anyone out there whose a nurse or knows about this help me out? Would they take me? Or is it not even worth applying?

Reply 1
Original post by YogaQueen
Hey :smile:
I want to do a nursing degree so am looking at applying for next September. I've actually just dropped out of uni for mh reasons and I wanted to do nursing not the course I was doing.

While I really want to do nursing I am worried my mental health history will mean I can't. I have diagnosed illnesses of boarderline personality disorder and ptsd, as well as depression (which I no longer have) and a history of abuse. On top of this I have a rather long history of attempted suicide and self harm (starting from when I was 8 and I'm now 18). This will all show on me medical records including the fact I've had 3 psychiatric admissions. Also I have had multiple holding sections from medical staff and police and incidents with the police (although I don't have a criminal record).

Despite how bad it all sounds in the last year I've been doing really well I've made so much progress. I did have a quite big slip up recently for a week but I feel like I'm back on track again. I have worked in care homes and my mh has never effected my work and I do know how to handle it a lot better. But I do see cmht (adult mental health team).

But because of how severe my illness has been and the things I have done I am worried a nursing course just won't take me. Even if I am getting better. Also I guess a year seems like it was so soon ago, but things have changed in a lot of ways.
Does anyone out there whose a nurse or knows about this help me out? Would they take me? Or is it not even worth applying?

With a complex history such as you have described, and which you would have to declare in any health questionnaire you were required to complete, I'd suggest that giving yourself more time to consolidate the progress you've made before applying would be wise. There is the risk that the challenges of being a student nurse might undermine your developing resilience - the unis would be very aware of that and would have to err on the side of caution, as the risk would not be just to you, but also to your potential patients.

I would suggest that you contact the unis you are interested in and have a frank conversation with the admissions tutor about your circumstances and history. Better to know now whether it is certain that your application would be unsuccessful because of your current medical history, rather than go through the application process and then find out. Even if the answer is 'no' now, it wouldn't be a case of saying 'never'. If in, say, five or ten years' time you have managed to stay on an even keel and can show that you have coped well with work and all the rest of daily life, you may find that the unis are prepared to consider you. That you have been able to cope with work in a care home is certainly a positive point, and if you continue to do that successfully that will certainly help.
Sorry I should of read all your posts before commenting.

Many nurses have had depression/mental illness before and during their training and careers.

You may experience problems again because of the course. It's very intense, honestly it's nothing but easy. You've worked in care homes, so arguably have acquired nursing skills already.

If you have the entry requirements go for it! And good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
It is possible to work in the medical field despite a background of mental health problems.

You would need to satisfy the safeguarding/fitness to practice panel in any university that you were no danger to yourself, to others on the course and to patients on any placement

At that time you will need an enhanced DBS check when the police may possibly have notice of your condition, and seek to put that on as enhanced disclosure. Please note however, that it is possible to appeal to an independent body, despite what the police may want

In both cases, what you would need to show with medical confirmation is that your condition has stabilised and that you are no longer any risk. There are various other arguments can use, but that is the main one and I am aware of one trainee Dr who has achieved just that

Regards

Julie Corry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending