The Student Room Group

Parents want me to drop my 5th AS Level but I don't want to?

So, I have a problem which I'm sure should usually be the other way round. I'm taking 5 AS Levels, and yeah it's a lot of work, and I spend a lot of time doing homework, but I feel it's worth it and don't want to give up a subject.
My parents on the other hand, who weren't supportive of me doing 5 in the first place, state simply that homework is taking up too much of my life (I also play 2 instruments, do extra-curricular clubs every day, volunteer, do sport and have a wide spread social life) so I need to drop a subject. They say that if I end up in August with quantity over quality in my grades I'll only have myself to blame, if I have a mental breakdown it'll be my fault, they won't be sympathetic to my studying as it's self-inflicted pain blah blah blah... (They are only concerned about my wellbeing I suppose!)
What do you think I should do? Half term (next week) is the review date for whether or not I should drop a subject...
I think you should drop it because unis only require 3. Your parents are completely correct but it is your choice at the end of the day. Do you think you can cope and get really good grades? Would you prefer getting average grades in 5 or amazing grades in 3? It's all up to you really. Good luck. :smile:
Definitely drop it. Even if you think you can manage 5 A's it won't help; if anything it will drag your average across the others down.

Quality over quantity.
Original post by lucyx
So, I have a problem which I'm sure should usually be the other way round. I'm taking 5 AS Levels, and yeah it's a lot of work, and I spend a lot of time doing homework, but I feel it's worth it and don't want to give up a subject.
My parents on the other hand, who weren't supportive of me doing 5 in the first place, state simply that homework is taking up too much of my life (I also play 2 instruments, do extra-curricular clubs every day, volunteer, do sport and have a wide spread social life) so I need to drop a subject. They say that if I end up in August with quantity over quality in my grades I'll only have myself to blame, if I have a mental breakdown it'll be my fault, they won't be sympathetic to my studying as it's self-inflicted pain blah blah blah... (They are only concerned about my wellbeing I suppose!)
What do you think I should do? Half term (next week) is the review date for whether or not I should drop a subject...

I think you know what you're capable of. If you've not yet thought "this is too much, I can't cope" then you're probably fine. I did 5 AS Levels no problem but only one was an essay-based subject. I don't know if I could have kept up 5 essay-based subjects! But in the end, you know you best. Just use your own judgement.
Personally I'd drop one, however if you feel you are coping then carry on! You know if you're struggling or not and if you honestly believe doing 5 and all your extra-curricular stuff will not damage your grades and/or sanity then that's your choice and go for it.
Well if you're looking to go to uni after A Levels, I'd say drop one. I always see threads of people saying that they shouldn't have taken a 5th as uni's simply don't take it into consideration (or at least not a lot).

Of course, it looks better, but you're better off focusing on a smaller amount
I did 5 As and it was fine, if you feel capable of doing it and you get good grades do it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest