EU destroys more UK fishing with fleets facing ruin

Watch
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
UK loses fishing rights over the Bristol channel and the MMO have closed fishing in the area because of the European Commission. It is predicted the fleets in the area will be facing ruin

http://www.ukip.org/ukip_fisheries_s...fishing_rights

Is it time for the UK to take control of its own waters?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Actually i do agree. The CFP is an abysmal policy which not only favours Europe (many states can make fishing boats but have no coast) but their refusal to adhere to scientific quotas means that our fish stocks have been decimated.

Take back our waters and then restrict commercial fishing to fish farms for a few decades i say.
DErasmus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
they should **** off and let us decide our own domestic policy to be honest
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Actually i do agree. The CFP is an abysmal policy which not only favours Europe (many states can make fishing boats but have no coast) but their refusal to adhere to scientific quotas means that our fish stocks have been decimated.

Take back our waters and then restrict commercial fishing to fish farms for a few decades i say.
There's a problem there though. The UK fishing fleets have over fished for a long time.

Although I don't agree with the cfp, it has led to sustainable fish sticks.

Read up on the cod wars. ISTR part of the problem was that we never engaged in the cfp at the start, and we've been playing catch up ever since.

FYI, fishing isn't exactly a huge employer in the grand scheme of the things. With industrial fishing techniques we'll never be able to sustain historical employment levels.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
There's a problem there though. The UK fishing fleets have over fished for a long time.

Although I don't agree with the cfp, it has led to sustainable fish sticks.

Read up on the cod wars. ISTR part of the problem was that we never engaged in the cfp at the start, and we've been playing catch up ever since.

FYI, fishing isn't exactly a huge employer in the grand scheme of the things. With industrial fishing techniques we'll never be able to sustain historical employment levels.
Fish stocks are sustainable but at a level so low that peak fishing catch in the UK occurred in the 1930's.

While it won't do much for the industry i very much believe that we need to prohibit industrial trawling in UK waters and allow fish stocks to recover. Fish farms may increase the cost (though we can import elsewhere) but at least we'd still have some fishing industry and we breed from the prior years stock.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (110)
27.85%
England (135)
34.18%
Belgium (30)
7.59%
Germany (41)
10.38%
Spain (8)
2.03%