The Student Room Group

Recommend a university degree to me

I don't know what I want to do at university. These are the A Levels I am currently taking (Year 12):
Mathematics
Economics
History
Government and Politics

Background info:
- My favourite subjects out of the above are History and Mathematics
- I don't want to study History at university
- I would want to study Mathematics, or something, like Mathematics - only I'm neither natural, gifted or talented in Maths and, although I have a strong interest in the subject, its one I spend most time working/revising over
- I consider myself more inclined to academics than something practical
- I like the idea of spending at least 3-4 years at uni. A Masters would be nice.
- I am very good with writing/arguing/debating/self-discipline and self-management
- I am very good with essays...but I don't like writing them
- I would like to think I could do a 'respectable' career - to be honest, one with some prestige :smile:

Any ideas?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Air Conditioner
I don't know what I want to do at university. These are the A Levels I am currently taking (Year 12):
Mathematics
Economics
History
Government and Politics

Background info:
- I would want to study Mathematics, or something, like Mathematics - only I'm neither natural, gifted or talented in Maths and, although I have a strong interest in the subject, its one I spend most time working/revising over
- I like the idea of spending at least 3-4 years at uni. A Masters would be nice.
- I am very good with writing/arguing/debating/self-discipline and self-management
- I would like to think I could do a 'respectable' career - to be honest, one with some prestige :smile:

Any ideas?

It seems that your perfect degree would combine history with maths. Unfortunately, this doesn't really exist (I know UCL has an Arts and Sciences course, but there's not a lot of pure maths in the sciences side). From what I can tell, you're going to have to choose. You say that you'd like to study Mathematics so to be perfectly honest, I'd just go for that.
Economics
Hair Dressing
Social Care
Barbering

:smile:
Original post by jamez870
Economics

Mathematics
Economics
History
Government and Politics

Background info:

Any ideas?

Yeh I think economics, since the econs in uni is math based, and since you already are taking it, it might be good for you!

plus its definitely a 'respectable' degree, even though they all are so i'm not too sure what you mean by that
Original post by Chlorophile
It seems that your perfect degree would combine history with maths. Unfortunately, this doesn't really exist (I know UCL has an Arts and Sciences course, but there's not a lot of pure maths in the sciences side). From what I can tell, you're going to have to choose. You say that you'd like to study Mathematics so to be perfectly honest, I'd just go for that.

Actually, a quick search of Unistats show that many universities offer this combination (struggling to link because I'm on my phone). It's possible, if OP wants to go down that route.
Reply 6
what are your grades like?
Original post by Summit
what are your grades like?

I have 12 GCSEs, 8 are A*s, 3 are As and 1 is a B
(edited 9 years ago)
i would also say econ, realistically its going to be pretty difficult to do a maths degree (at least at most mid to high ranking unis) without FM as one of your options
Original post by Arithmeticae
i would also say econ, realistically its going to be pretty difficult to do a maths degree (at least at most mid to high ranking unis) without FM as one of your options

Yeah that is something that has been on my mind. Is there nothing else I can do to (other than FM) that can bolster an application for Maths at a mid-high uni?
Yeah that is something that has been on my mind. Is there nothing else I can do to (other than FM) that can bolster an application for Maths at a mid-high uni?

Idk, maybe if you do very well for Olympiads and like American Math Challenge and stuffs like those, itll help with your uni app fosure?

Quick Reply

Latest