Turn on thread page Beta

Serious question about anti-depressants. watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.seroxatusergroup.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    my bestfriend was 30. She's dead now.
    I am sorry, but I think it just doesn't work for some people. My mum wouldn't kill herself and in all honesty she would have problems doing so even if she wanted too

ReputationRep:
    Ive been offered prozac along with others, erm side effects usually go away after the first few weeks, it takes about a month to work and it wont work on its own efectivly, you need counselling/other therapy with it as when you come off it you may get depressed again as you have treated the symptoms not the cause, im not trying to dash your hopes, i suffer from clinical depression and anxiety, so you have my sympathies

ReputationRep:
    i used to have clinical depression when i was 15/16. i took medication in the form of zoloft which is in the same family of medications as prozac i think. to be honest, it didn't work for me, i found that it made me constantly tired and irritable towards others. luckily i was also offered a course of counselling which really helped me sort my head out and get my life back on track. having said that, my depression was caused by external factors such as being bullied at school. i had no biological problem with low seratonin levels or anything so looking back i can see why the tablets wouldn't have worked for me (**** knows why my GP prescribed them to a 15 year old!! :mad: ).

i'd definately recommed that you try some counselling as well as medication. i was realy nervous before i went as i'm very closed when it comes to talking about my feelings, but it really helped. i just hope thatyou are okay with the tablets, if you have any bad side effects after a few weeks i'd recommend you tell your doctor straight away and they should prescribe you something else which may work better.

in my view tablets like prozac, zoloft and paxil etc make having depression bearable but they don't treat its underlying causes and so when you stop taking the tablets you may find yourself slipping back into depression again.

anyway, it takes courage to talk so openly about having problems with depression, when i was depressed i wouldn't talk about it with anyone, so i think it's very brave of you to admit you have the illness . try not to take notice of people who don't understand you or act like ********s (most of my old friends would fit in this bracket), there is still a terrible stigma attached to mental illness and it's purely due to peoples ignorance that they don't understand. just try and keep your mind as positive as possible thinking that you will get better. and you will get better,it just takes time, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I am sorry, but I think it just doesn't work for some people. My mum wouldn't kill herself and in all honesty she would have problems doing so even if she wanted too
    I've heard so many horror stories about this drug, that I think it's important to keep people informed ofthe cons as well as the pros. I know some people respond really well to it, but it seems just as many don't. It seems like a gamble that doesn't always pay off.

My friend was put on seroxat to combat anxiety re: writing her thesis/having her DPhil viva. She read some bad stuff about it and went to her GP to see if she could go onto prozac or similar. she got upset at the Drs, so he upped her dose. She hung herself less than a week after having her dose upped. The coroner concluded that it was impossible to blame the drug, but that it wasn't the first case of an unexpected suicide he'd delt with where seroxat was involved....

ReputationRep:
    I've heard so many horror stories about this drug, that I think it's important to keep people informed ofthe cons as well as the pros. I know some people respond really well to it, but it seems just as many don't. It seems like a gamble that doesn't always pay off.

My friend was put on seroxat to combat anxiety re: writing her thesis/having her DPhil viva. She read some bad stuff about it and went to her GP to see if she could go onto prozac or similar. she got upset at the Drs, so he upped her dose. She hung herself less than a week after having her dose upped. The coroner concluded that it was impossible to blame the drug, but that it wasn't the first case of an unexpected suicide he'd delt with where seroxat was involved....
    thats terrible

ReputationRep:
    I thought Zoloft caused suicidal thoughts/tendencies too? Anyway, they can be addictive, and you don't want to get addicted do you? Just exert some self control and you should be fine. I thought there was a kind of herbal antiD that they do in chemists? Try searching google for some info.

Oh yeah, and decreased libido is another side effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Suspicious Fish, have you been offered counselling as well?
    Sorry not to reply, I was dyeing my hair....
    Counselling is..... not right. I find it far too superficial.
    But I've been in psychotherapy for about 3 1/2 years now.
    I say always try to treat the cause before you treat the symptoms, but that didn't seem to work for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Quixote)
    I thought there was a kind of herbal antiD that they do in chemists? Try searching google for some info.
    Do you mean St Johns Wort? If so, take medical advice before taking it as it can affectt he metabolism of a fair few drugs as well as agrivating certain conditions..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    anyway, it takes courage to talk so openly about having problems with depression, when i was depressed i wouldn't talk about it with anyone, so i think it's very brave of you to admit you have the illness . try not to take notice of people who don't understand you or act like ********s (most of my old friends would fit in this bracket), there is still a terrible stigma attached to mental illness and it's purely due to peoples ignorance that they don't understand. just try and keep your mind as positive as possible thinking that you will get better. and you will get better,it just takes time, good luck!
    Thanks very much, and thanks to all of you who've wished me well.
    I ummed and aahed for ages before starting this thread, so it's lovely to see how supportive you UK-Lers can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Thanks very much, and thanks to all of you who've wished me well.
    I ummed and aahed for ages before starting this thread, so it's lovely to see how supportive you UK-Lers can be.
    Its becoming like weight watchers here

ReputationRep:
    suspicious fish, have you been offered counselling? (For now and the future)

ReputationRep:
    Heya sweetie, I've been on seroxat for the past two years, and it has helped so much. I don't know where I would be now without it, and I worry about how I will cope when they make me come off it.

I've been depressed for as long as I can remember. I also have a lot of social problems.

The seroxat has greatly improved my moods, and helped me a lot.

I do worry though that it is treating the effects of depression, not the causes.

Feel free to PM me honey!

ReputationRep:
    I am very surprised you are offered anti-depressants without counselling. Seems wholly irresponsible of the doctors to me.

ReputationRep:
    I am very surprised you are offered anti-depressants without counselling. Seems wholly irresponsible of the doctors to me.
    Counselling is total crap if you don't want to talk! I was forced into couselling as a teenager (anorexia). What a load of crap! It was soooo predictable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    *deep breath*
    Ok, so..... today I took my first ever Prozac pill.
    I've got a 4-6 month course and I'm kinda scared.
    Can anyone share their experiences?
    Does it work? What're the side effects like?
    whatever you are depressed about, i hope you overcome this hurdle

ReputationRep:
    There are different types of counselling. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is very good - you work together to try and get to the root of things and to try and make solutions.

I suppose it works for some people and not for others, but I still think giving out drugs without a proper talk with a counsellor isn't very wise.

ReputationRep:
    There are different types of counselling. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is very good - you work together to try and get to the root of things and to try and make solutions.

I suppose it works for some people and not for others, but I still think giving out drugs without a proper talk with a counsellor isn't very wise.

Why not? Being non responsive to counselling and being forced to take it anyway can be just as damaging as perscribing drugs, if not more so as it can really tip the mental balance.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? Being non responsive to counselling and being forced to take it anyway can be just as damaging as perscribing drugs, if not more so as it can really tip the mental balance.
    Please listen to what I have said. I'm not trying to counter you. I said that prescribing drugs without one single proper vent with a counsellor, talking to make sure medication is the right way to go would be unwise.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I seem to think you said:

counselling can be as powerful as drugs. It doesn't work for everyone. it can tip some over the edge in the same way as mis-prescription of anti-depressents.

The same amount of care has to be administered when prescribing counselling as needs to be taken when writing a script for drugs. They do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.