Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    and I thought the same of you!!!
    Heh . No I fully accepted your point, but I still think people should have ONE talk with a counsellor to decide their path. Please don't assume that because I don't talk about my own experiences I don't have any.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should have an appointment if YOU want one. You shouldnt be forced to go the option should be there if you want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Heh . No I fully accepted your point, but I still think people should have ONE talk with a counsellor to decide their path. Please don't assume that because I don't talk about my own experiences I don't have any.
    I don't make any such assumption! Honest! I just honestly think it's not always the best route. Even once.

There's nothing stopping you from booking a double or even triple appointment with your GP and letting them know in advance what you're making the appointment for, so as not to 'spring' it on them. Has much less stigma, without risking feeling even more of a failiure because you failed at counselling..... Sorry, I really, really beleve in all this, and I don't think every one should be forced to try it. To my mind it's a little like saying well evenone should pop one pill...

So agree to disagree?

It is nice to see different view points on here as a lot of the tim (with the exception of the debate forum) everyone just agrees with each other in a fairly fake way, so as not to upset anyone or risk getting neg repped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)

It is nice to see different view points on here as a lot of the tim (with the exception of the debate forum) everyone just agrees with each other in a fairly fake way, so as not to upset anyone or risk getting neg repped!
    Yes. Or people take offence for no reason, as if you aren't allowed to differ and still be civil or *shock horror* get along well with people.

What IS that on your avatar? I keep thinking it's a pooh icecream.

ReputationRep:
    What IS that on your avatar? I keep thinking it's a pooh icecream.
    It's my penguin Jasper, taken on the beach at Weston Super-Mare (won him on the pier - he is my friend....

...did someone mention counselling

ReputationRep:
    Are you ladies friends again? It was getting very heated and personal for a second!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Are you ladies friends again?
    Never in doubt!

I admire peeps for having their own mind, and it's interesting to get deeper into peoples reasonings, that's all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Are you ladies friends again?
    Oh tush. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh tush. :rolleyes:
    Blissy! Just the person. I was wondering if you could please look over my English coursework?? lol...just to make sure I haven't made any glaring grammatical errors etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Blissy! Just the person. I was wondering if you could please look over my English coursework?? lol...just to make sure I haven't made any glaring grammatical errors etc?
    When's it got to be in for? If it's tomorrow I will give my best shot, if not I will look it at first thing in the morning

ReputationRep:
    When's it got to be in for? If it's tomorrow I will give my best shot, if not I will look it at first thing in the morning
    Tomorrow. It doesn't matter - only a brief look perhaps....I don't think you'll (at least I hope you won't) find much as it's like a 4th or 5th draft!

ReputationRep:
    goodness it all got very tense in here for a minute there!?!

well... what i think of antidepressants. i have taken lots of different ones, but not prozac. citalopram, venlafaxine, SEROXAT, you name it i have guzzled it... and whatever you take, you gotta give it time. you will get side effects, and depending on who you are they can be horrendous, but they do pass. all of the throwing up and collapsing you may or may not get in the first couple of weeks will vanish - trust me on that one. dont get freaked out by the leaflet in the pack either (not that my pharmacist ever gives me them!) cos theres normally bad things written on it that dont really happen to anyone thank the lord! i am bad for side effects and can guarantee to get about 2/3 of the list including for much of last year 'lactation'... eeueuugh!!!!!!!!!! but side effects normally vanish within a month, and so long as you dont drink alcohol and stay hydrated youll be fine.

dont get to stuck on the 4 to 6 month timeframe... i was told i'd take a simple AD for like 4 months and i'd be fine, but here i am 3 years on and taking about 7 tablets a day of various psychiatric drugs. just take them till you feel better, then a good few months after that. i think you really need to get some kind of talking therapy with antidepressants as all they really do is chemically alter the balance of your body and not iron out any underlying problems. you may think yuo have no issues, but trust me in therapy you realise what they are! i have done a range of therapies, some good some bad. everyone needs something different. at the local mental health unit i have had cognitive behavioural therapy (which i hated so much, even after 3 attempts with different people), psychotherapy (i find this really really helpful) and various occupational therapy, psychologists, simple nursing sessions... also i just have an hour chat with my consultant psychiatrist each week too which is good for keeping tbas on drug doses and stuff. you just got to find something that suits you. drugs on their own do nothing - or else i'd have been better a long time ago!

i dunno how rich you are... but if youre loaded book yourself into your local priory clinic for a bit over the summer. means you could potentially avoid weeks of appointments and get a block of therapy done all in one go and feel refreshed and revived come september. i spent 9 months in a unit and helped me a lot (was nhs mind you) and pretty much saved my life. when youre there 24/7 you can just sort your head out all in one go and brace yourself for life outside.

oh yeah, and on SEROXAT... is *****-drug... nearly killed me. gives you nightmares (if you can get to sleep that is!!!!) which are really violent and scary. is horrid and i swear it should be banned - at least it is for under 18s now (i took it at 17, so basically 18) - is scary.

loooong email? keep up the tablets and do what the old doc says and ask them if youre worried about anything. if your GP prescribed it, be careful... as they dont exactly understand psychiatric medication from my experience. my pharmacist went mental and rang the doctor when he saw my first prescription!! just ask to get referred to someone else and save a lot of hassle.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Just to set things straight here:
    I've been in psychotherapy for over 3 years, so I'm not jumping straight into the drugs.
    My psychiatrist prescribed the anti-ds, NOT my GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Just to set things straight here:
    I've been in psychotherapy for over 3 years, so I'm not jumping straight into the drugs.
    My psychiatrist prescribed the anti-ds, NOT my GP.
    well thats ok then

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.