The Student Room Group

1st year Biochemistry help!

I'm really struggling with the basic chemistry here as, can anyone give me a hand?

The following is a recipe for the reaction mixture for a PCR amplification of DNA.
In a total volume of 50µl, add the following:
2µl template DNA (10ng - 500ng)
5µl 10x Taq DNA polymerase buffer with MgCl2
1µl dNTP mixture (10mM each nucleotide: dATP, dCTP, dGTP, dTTP)
2.5µl Forward primer (10µM stock)
2.5µl Reverse primer (10µM stock)
0.2µl Taq DNA polymerase (5 units / µl)
Water to 50µl

(d) How much of each primer (in moles) is added to the reaction? How much
nucleotides (sum of all four; in moles) is present in the reaction mixture?
(Note. You may want to look up details of the process occurring here to see why
nucleotides are present in large excess over primers.)
(e) If 10ng of a double stranded DNA sequence, length 900 base pairs, is used as
template, how much (moles) is present in the reaction mixture? (Assume 1 base pair
has a "molecular weight" of 625.) How many molecules is this (Avogadro's number =
6.022 x 1023)?

These are the two question im struggling with right now can anyone give me a hand ?
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Barcode
I'm really struggling with the basic chemistry here as, can anyone give me a hand?

The following is a recipe for the reaction mixture for a PCR amplification of DNA.
In a total volume of 50µl, add the following:
2µl template DNA (10ng - 500ng)
5µl 10x Taq DNA polymerase buffer with MgCl2
1µl dNTP mixture (10mM each nucleotide: dATP, dCTP, dGTP, dTTP)
2.5µl Forward primer (10µM stock)
2.5µl Reverse primer (10µM stock)
0.2µl Taq DNA polymerase (5 units / µl)
Water to 50µl

(d) How much of each primer (in moles) is added to the reaction? How much
nucleotides (sum of all four; in moles) is present in the reaction mixture?
(Note. You may want to look up details of the process occurring here to see why
nucleotides are present in large excess over primers.)
(e) If 10ng of a double stranded DNA sequence, length 900 base pairs, is used as
template, how much (moles) is present in the reaction mixture? (Assume 1 base pair
has a "molecular weight" of 625.) How many molecules is this (Avogadro's number =
6.022 x 1023)?

These are the two question im struggling with right now can anyone give me a hand ?

D) remember number of moles = concentration x volume. You are given molar concentration and volume for each substance so you be able to calculate the number of moles present.

E) number of moles = mass/molecular weight. Use this relationship to find the number of moles of base pairs. Then use avogadros constant to scale this up to number of molecules!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending