maths_geek
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I have got mocks coming soon and the only subject I extremely struggle in is... History I get the content I just don't understand my structure at ALL. I would really appreciate if someone could very simply write simple steps on P-point E-evidence E-explain for the structuring of an essay, at the moment I am studying GCSE crime and protest Edexcel. An example question that you could use to base the essay on could be: "Why was it so difficult to deal with smuggling and poaching in the 18th century?" (12 Marks)

Thank you for the help in advance!!
Jdizzle15
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maths_geek)
Hi,

I have got mocks coming soon and the only subject I extremely struggle in is... History I get the content I just don't understand my structure at ALL. I would really appreciate if someone could very simply write simple steps on P-point E-evidence E-explain for the structuring of an essay, at the moment I am studying GCSE crime and protest Edexcel. An example question that you could use to base the essay on could be: "Why was it so difficult to deal with smuggling and poaching in the 18th century?" (12 Marks)

Thank you for the help in advance!!
I'll give it a bash but I'll have to BS the evidence (you don't do BS the evidence)

During the 18th century port security was very corrupt (point), 30% of all port secuirty officials were caught being corrupt (evidence) but in reality many more could've been corrupt and simply not caught. The significance of this is there was no way of stopping smuggling via the main places of export and international trade at the time so smuggling was made easy by the lack of action against it (explaining why the point and evidence are important and how they relate to the question)
maths_geek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jdizzle15)
I'll give it a bash but I'll have to BS the evidence (you don't do BS the evidence)

During the 18th century port security was very corrupt (point), 30% of all port secuirty officials were caught being corrupt (evidence) but in reality many more could've been corrupt and simply not caught. The significance of this is there was no way of stopping smuggling via the main places of export and international trade at the time so smuggling was made easy by the lack of action against it (explaining why the point and evidence are important and how they relate to the question)
Hi, thanks that's much clearer, in accordance to the question it's just the explanation that I struggle with the most!!
Jdizzle15
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, thanks that's much clearer, in accordance to the question it's just the explanation that I struggle with the most!!
No worries, in most timed exams I personally find most of my explanations do end up a bit wibbly and wobbly and waffley but you just really need to say something after you say what your evidence is it doesn't need to be long and sometimes it can be very common sensey but if you don't you're just writing down facts.
maths_geek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jdizzle15)
No worries, in most timed exams I personally find most of my explanations do end up a bit wibbly and wobbly and waffley but you just really need to say something after you say what your evidence is it doesn't need to be long and sometimes it can be very common sensey but if you don't you're just writing down facts.
Fair enough, it's true! I just seem to panic before exams (typical me)!
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not doing the same exam board or anything but my teacher always says to give a balanced argument ( for, against, conclusion). Not sure if this is the same for your's??

EDIT: in the conclusion, you have to come down on one side of the argument - yes or no for example...
maths_geek
Rep:
?
(Original post by turn-to-page394)
I'm not doing the same exam board or anything but my teacher always says to give a balanced argument ( for, against, conclusion). Not sure if this is the same for your's??

EDIT: in the conclusion, you have to come down on one side of the argument - yes or no for example...
Yes, I agree with you it's true I've been taught to "not sit on the fence" for an argument essay.But it's the main body of the essay I struggle with, do you have any guides or anything that could help?
turn-to-page394
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I agree with you it's true I've been taught to "not sit on the fence" for an argument essay.But it's the main body of the essay I struggle with, do you have any guides or anything that could help?
Don't really know any, sorry

I normally don't do P-E-Es though - at least, I don't go about thinking 'First Point. Now Evidence. Etc...'. It annoys me how there isn't any flexibility - probably why I didn't take RS for GCSE, that particular essay structure wasn't my way of writing. I just make sure that I give as much necessary detail as possible for each argument/point I put forwards and if one point isn't particularly strong, I make sure I have another extra point to make.

NB I don't really recommend my personal essay structure as it's a mess and I need to work on it myself. PEEs are amazing if you can do them...

Something I do recommend is making sure you link your paragraphs in some way, not just abruptly jumping about.
For example, 'on the other hand', 'furthermore', 'in conclusion'. These really help me structure the mess that are my essays.

Hopefully you managed to understand the gist of this waffle... :/
vd12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't really know any, sorry

I normally don't do P-E-Es though - at least, I don't go about thinking 'First Point. Now Evidence. Etc...'. It annoys me how there isn't any flexibility - probably why I didn't take RS for GCSE, that particular essay structure wasn't my way of writing. I just make sure that I give as much necessary detail as possible for each argument/point I put forwards and if one point isn't particularly strong, I make sure I have another extra point to make.

NB I don't really recommend my personal essay structure as it's a mess and I need to work on it myself. PEEs are amazing if you can do them...

Something I do recommend is making sure you link your paragraphs in some way, not just abruptly jumping about.
For example, 'on the other hand', 'furthermore', 'in conclusion'. These really help me structure the mess that are my essays.

Hopefully you managed to understand the gist of this waffle... :/
Whereas I on the other-hand prefer the essay structure for RS =) You answer every part A, B, C, D in the same way; so you can only really slip up on time management and recalling information. My history teacher pretty much dictates the structure of our answers tbh ;D
turn-to-page394
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by vd12345)
Whereas I on the other-hand prefer the essay structure for RS =) You answer every part A, B, C, D in the same way; so you can only really slip up on time management and recalling information. My history teacher pretty much dictates the structure of our answers tbh ;D
Here's someone who can actually help you OP!

(I just hate being told what to do, even if it's for my own good...)
maths_geek
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Here's someone who can actually help you OP!

(I just hate being told what to do, even if it's for my own good...)
Don't stress it! It happens, but I was confused regards to he PEE But I understand it so much better now thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed