The Student Room Group

Politics Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Inapark4
i disagree age.i think that this is all due to inflation.Still, exceter isn't a uni i would like to go to (even though i have an unconditional). i also think it is wrong that you have those predictions with your, pretty poor AS grades. I don't think that just bestcause you go to a posh school (i can tell with my impressive judgement capabilities) you should be getting 'average predictions' with poor grades at the moment.
my predicted grades are 4 A*'s and i am doing EPQ
i have an unconditional from Warwick, AAB for Durham (college is Josephine Butler, obviously)
and waiting to hear back from oxford
im not boasting, just wanted to say.
Opinions?
and thanks

Hahahaha!
Well that's impressive didn't realise Exeter and Warwick gave out unconditionals to those who haven't already completed their A2. Moreover, AAB from Durham? Normally their lowest offer is AAA not to mention the fact that when you get an offer your campus code turns to Z and the first wave of college allocations is in
February 2015. Finally, as a prospective politics student surely you would be aware that Oxford offer History and Politics not Politics on its own. Nice attempt though but you sir are a fake.
It's funny because I don't go to a "posh school" I go to a sixth form college and I don't think its that posh at all!
I guess my AS results were pretty poor...2 A's higher than 190 UMS and a C with 139 UMS ( 1 off a B :frown: )
Anyways nice talking to you again Ladivian oh I mean "Inapark4" :wink:
Reply 81
Original post by Age
Hahahaha!
Well that's impressive didn't realise Exeter and Warwick gave out unconditionals to those who haven't already completed their A2. Moreover, AAB from Durham? Normally their lowest offer is AAA not to mention the fact that when you get an offer your campus code turns to Z and the first wave of college allocations is in
February 2015. Finally, as a prospective politics student surely you would be aware that Oxford offer History and Politics not Politics on its own. Nice attempt though but you sir are a fake.
It's funny because I don't go to a "posh school" I go to a sixth form college and I don't think its that posh at all!
I guess my AS results were pretty poor...2 A's higher than 190 UMS and a C with 139 UMS ( 1 off a B :frown: )
Anyways nice talking to you again Ladivian oh I mean "Inapark4" :wink:

to reply to all your questions, and prove that i'm not this ladavian:
1) I didn't think they did either until i got the offer
2)for Durham, i guess part of that was contextual (as, unlike you, i go to a state school and have to work my arse of unlike you spoon-fed pretty boys)
3) And yes that is partly true, however when you actually get an offer (not even sure that you will), they allow you to log into the site and submit choices for colleges. this doesn't mean you get them,but is an early indication for how popular some of the colleges might be.
4) Yes, that is the oxford course, and yes i am doing that particular course. i call it politics due to the fact that that is where my interest lies and i will focus my course to that. on this note i applied to Oxford as it is...well oxford, and the HSPS course at Cambridge didn't wet my appetite.
if you don't go to a posh school then i apologise for saying that but i still believe you have no right to get those predictions and are taking other, more worthy, peoples places
also 190 UMS isn't that bad, however for politics, the main board is Edexcel and, assuming you did well in politics (therefore as you say over 190 UMS) you sir are a fake!!! as the politics AS is out of 180 UMS (that is what we are doing anyway).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 82
to reply to all your questions, and prove that i'm not this ladavian:
1) I didn't think they did either until i got the offer
2)for Durham, i guess part of that was contextual (as, unlike you, i go to a state school and have to work my arse of unlike you spoon-fed pretty boys)
3) And yes that is partly true, however when you actually get an offer (not even sure that you will), they allow you to log into the site and submit choices for colleges. this doesn't mean you get them,but is an early indication for how popular some of the colleges might be.
4) Yes, that is the oxford course, and yes i am doing that particular course. i call it politics due to the fact that that is where my interest lies and i will focus my course to that. on this note i applied to Oxford as it is...well oxford, and the HSPS course at Cambridge didn't wet my appetite.
if you don't go to a posh school then i apologise for saying that but i still believe you have no right to get those predictions and are taking other, more worthy, peoples places
also 190 UMS isn't that bad, however for politics, the main board is Edexcel and, assuming you did well in politics (therefore as you say over 190 UMS) you sir are a fake!!! as the politics AS is out of 180 UMS (that is what we are doing anyway).

I'll take the same approach in response as you did.

1) Would you like to send a screenshot of your offer and send it as an attachment in your next post? I'm sure it'll be a comfort to other politics applicants.
2) Oh Durham give contextual offers? On the website it states that "Durham does not make lower offers on the basis of this contextual or any other information and this will continue to be the case." Here's the link in case you wanted to educate yourself further on the process: https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/faqs/?faqno=2036
Like I said I go to a state sixth form college and again also have to "work my ass off" (I corrected the 'of' to 'off' presuming that is what you meant)
3) So not only do you know me but you're also an admissions tutor for Durham... well done! Am I correct in saying that after you receive an offer you then have to resubmit college choices after already stating this when you apply? Surely, a university like Durham would already be able to tell college popularity from the initial campus code on our ucas applications. Not to mention the fact that this is not mentioned in the slightest in the acknowledgement email we receive when you ACTUALLY apply.
4) Finally, all the best with your offer from Oxford! What subjects do you take if you don't mind me asking? I accept your apology and I hope you do know that your whole application is looked at not just predicted grades? Maybe just maybe I am "worthy" because I had a good personal statement?

The last point you raised made me laugh so hard that I struggled to make a response without dying of laughter. There's no "main exam board" just one that is more popular if anything. Hey maybe you could start a thread to find out which exam board people use for Government & Politics (the full title in case you didn't realise). There are many sources I could use to inform you that all AS exams regardless of subject are out of 200 UMS with the exception of Maths and Sciences. Have a look on the edexcel specification for Government & Politics in case you are unsure or this link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Mark_Scheme (Wikipedia- Uniform Mark Scheme)

This has been fun but lets try to keep this academically focused and helpful for all members. Oh, and I highlighted all your flaws in your argument in case you wanted improvements on how to troll in the future :clap2:
Reply 83
Original post by Age
I'll take the same approach in response as you did.

1) Would you like to send a screenshot of your offer and send it as an attachment in your next post? I'm sure it'll be a comfort to other politics applicants.
2) Oh Durham give contextual offers? On the website it states that "Durham does not make lower offers on the basis of this contextual or any other information and this will continue to be the case." Here's the link in case you wanted to educate yourself further on the process: https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/faqs/?faqno=2036
Like I said I go to a state sixth form college and again also have to "work my ass off" (I corrected the 'of' to 'off' presuming that is what you meant)
3) So not only do you know me but you're also an admissions tutor for Durham... well done! Am I correct in saying that after you receive an offer you then have to resubmit college choices after already stating this when you apply? Surely, a university like Durham would already be able to tell college popularity from the initial campus code on our ucas applications. Not to mention the fact that this is not mentioned in the slightest in the acknowledgement email we receive when you ACTUALLY apply.
4) Finally, all the best with your offer from Oxford! What subjects do you take if you don't mind me asking? I accept your apology and I hope you do know that your whole application is looked at not just predicted grades? Maybe just maybe I am "worthy" because I had a good personal statement?

The last point you raised made me laugh so hard that I struggled to make a response without dying of laughter. There's no "main exam board" just one that is more popular if anything. Hey maybe you could start a thread to find out which exam board people use for Government & Politics (the full title in case you didn't realise). There are many sources I could use to inform you that all AS exams regardless of subject are out of 200 UMS with the exception of Maths and Sciences. Have a look on the edexcel specification for Government & Politics in case you are unsure or this link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Mark_Scheme (Wikipedia- Uniform Mark Scheme)

This has been fun but lets try to keep this academically focused and helpful for all members. Oh, and I highlighted all your flaws in your argument in case you wanted improvements on how to troll in the future :clap2:

Firstly, there is no way I am sending a screenshot to you as I have no idea who you are. Also my headteacher said that it is banned to do so. Secondly I never said it was definately due to contextual reasons that I got the offer that I did. Unlike you, I don't have the time to spend looking aimlessly at the university in detail (which I am not going to get an offer from) as I have to work almost without help unlike you, Mr posh. I now see that it may be because my ENTIRE application was good. My AS UMS were fantastic, my personal statement was very good and my GCSEs were, well couldn't be better. What were yours like (to see if you do have a well rounded application)

The subsjects that I am taking for a level are: politics, economics, history and maths.

And going back to my original point, most admissions tutors know that private school brats get unachievable and unfair predictions. The bottom line is that your AS grades aren't good enough and you are riding on your predictions like Yankee doodle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 84
Firstly, there is no way I am sending a screenshot to you as I have no idea who you are. Also my headteacher said that it is banned to do so. Secondly I never said it was definately due to contextual reasons that I got the offer that I did. Unlike you, I don't have the time to spend looking aimlessly at the university in detail (which I am not going to get an offer from) as I have to work almost without help unlike you, Mr posh. I now see that it may be because my ENTIRE application was good. My AS UMS were fantastic, my personal statement was very good and my GCSEs were, well couldn't be better. What were yours like (to see if you do have a well rounded application)

The subsjects that I am taking for a level are: politics, economics, history and maths.

And going back to my original point, most admissions tutors know that private school brats get unachievable and unfair predictions. The bottom line is that your AS grades aren't good enough and you are riding on your predictions like Yankee doodle.

Right, you spoke to your headteacher on the matter? Well if it is "banned" to send a screenshot of an offer you supposedly have received it is probably also highly punishable to discuss such offers.

Again, like i previously stated I dont go to a private school. In case you have not read that previously. Not to mention the fact that you cant class all of individuals in private schools as "brats"

No you dont have time to aimlessly look at universities in detail instead you make fake accounts on a academically focused website for students instead. Must be so much fun.

Well done to you on your "fantastic" AS UMS and "very good" personal statement.

I'll continue to ride on my predictions and update you in the summer if I meet the conditions.
Reply 85
You can class all people from private schools as "brats" because they are.
Apart from that I agree with you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by RussmanG
You can class all people from private schools as "brats" because they are.
Apart from that I agree with you :smile:

Haha seems so harsh
Reply 87
Original post by Age
Haha seems so harsh

How?
Reply 88
Anyone heard from KCL or UCL?
Reply 89
Anyone heard from KCL or UCL?

The only thing I've heard from KCL is the acknowledgement of my application and that was on October 2nd. I've been invited to an ESPS assessment day at UCL though and that's on December 3rd.

What did you apply for at KCL? I applied for European Studies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by athena1
The only thing I've heard from KCL is the acknowledgement of my application and that was on October 2nd. I've been invited to an ESPS assessment day at UCL though and that's on December 3rd.

What did you apply for at KCL? I applied for European Studies.

Applied for politics at kings and does that mean you have an offer, unless you assault someone on the assessment day?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 91
Applied for politics at kings and does that mean you have an offer, unless you assault someone on the assessment day?

No, I don't have an offer yet sadly. I have to sit the TSA and have a group discussion with some of the tutors and then you find if you've got an offer or rejection.
Reply 92
Original post by athena1
No, I don't have an offer yet sadly. I have to sit the TSA and have a group discussion with some of the tutors and then you find if you've got an offer or rejection.

Ah ok, didnt know you had to do TSA?

Edit: Ah it's only for the ESPS. Not applying for that one :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 93
Has anybody had an offer back from QMUL, Birmingham, or Southampton? If so how long did it take?
Reply 94
Received an offer from Kings today.
Reply 95
Received an offer from Kings today.

Well done man, anymore news?
Original post by ymlou
Has anybody had an offer back from QMUL, Birmingham, or Southampton? If so how long did it take?

If you're applying to QMUL, what are your predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by ymlou

Birmingham took exactly 2 weeks for me
Hi guys I desperately need your opinion. I'm an European student (Italy) and on january the 1st I applied for politics to edinburgh, st. andrews, UCL and KCL. So far I got rejected from London universities, and I'm guessing that maybe there will be negative outcomes even from the scottish ones ( UCL and KCL just told me they received too many applications, but mine had no faults actually). So I'm planning to apply to others through extra, but I need your opinions: According to my situation, which uni would u suggest me to apply for? I mean, a good one obviously but at the same time accessible. Thank u a lot
Original post by Cosimo96
Hi guys I desperately need your opinion. I'm an European student (Italy) and on january the 1st I applied for politics to edinburgh, st. andrews, UCL and KCL. So far I got rejected from London universities, and I'm guessing that maybe there will be negative outcomes even from the scottish ones ( UCL and KCL just told me they received too many applications, but mine had no faults actually). So I'm planning to apply to others through extra, but I need your opinions: According to my situation, which uni would u suggest me to apply for? I mean, a good one obviously but at the same time accessible. Thank u a lot

Apply to York! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending