Pew Research Political Typology.

Watch
Lambrook
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've quite liked the work the Pew Research does, and I think this Political Typology quiz puts people into types that aren't too dissimilar from the UK. Just flip the colours...

Are you a Steadfast Conservative? A Solid Liberal? Or somewhere in between? Take our quiz to find out which one of our Political Typology groups is your best match compared with a national survey of over 10,000 U.S. adults conducted by the Pew Research Center.

----------

I got Next Generation Left.

Generally young, well-educated and financially comfortable, the Next Generation Left have very liberal attitudes on many issues, including homosexuality, abortion, the environment and foreign policy. While overall supportive of an activist government, most are wary of expanding the social safety net. Most also have relatively positive views of Wall Street’s impact on the economy. While most affiliate with the Democratic Party or lean Democratic, few consider themselves strong Democrats. Compare groups on key issues.

That's sort of a good summary of me, after all I am some sort of Keynesian these days...
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Business Conservatives generally are traditional small-government Republicans. Overwhelming percentages think that government is almost always wasteful and it does too much better left to businesses and individuals. Business Conservatives differ from Steadfast Conservatives in their positive attitudes toward business and in their strong support for Wall Street in particular. Most think that immigrants strengthen the country and take a positive view of U.S. global involvement. As a group, they are less socially conservative than Steadfast Conservatives. Compare groups on key issues.

I'm supportive of business but I would't agree that government is always wasteful. Government does a lot of good work and there are certain things the private sector just won't ever do. Still I do agree with the latter part more. Doesn't fit that well with the political views I have in my sig from another test though. (Which I've just realized is no longer there..)
Lambrook
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Still I do agree with the latter part more. Doesn't fit that well with the political views I have in my sig from another test though. (Which I've just realized is no longer there..)
Well there is always compromise when you have people differentiated into 8 groups. I know a Think Tank, Populus (see here) tried to do what the Pew Research did here with titles like Cosmopolitan Critic, Comfortable Nostalgia, et al. All these groups help research and predicting how people will be voting during elections, and get an idea of the make-up of a constituency. However these groups Populus devised were ambiguous and did cater to people's social and economic aspects. Apparently in the 2004 election, Karl Rove had devised 90+ voter blocs in the US, which of course was precise but far too convoluted.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lambrook)
Well there is always compromise when you have people differentiated into 8 groups. I know a Think Tank, Populus (see here) tried to do what the Pew Research did here with titles like Cosmopolitan Critic, Comfortable Nostalgia, et al. All these groups help research and predicting how people will be voting during elections, and get an idea of the make-up of a constituency. However these groups Populus devised were ambiguous and did cater to people's social and economic aspects. Apparently in the 2004 election, Karl Rove had devised 90+ voter blocs in the US, which of course was precise but far too convoluted.
I don't know how much it is done here, but i'd assume a similar amount. The idea of tiny voting blocs is huge in the States. If you can find a way to carve up the electorate they have managed it. Supposedly the two parties have lists of what electoral blocs watch what TV shows so they can target their advertising better.

It really is amazing the lengths parties go to in elections to target themselves at various voters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (171)
14.63%
I'm not sure (54)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (343)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (566)
48.42%

Watched Threads