The Student Room Group

Film Noir/Neo Noir

I love the noir aesthetic. The low lighting the stylised shots and the unifying story arc. Some of my faves are

Double Indemnity
Strangers on a train
Touch of Evil
Chinatown (by the irredeemable Polanski)
Dark City
A bout de souffle (breathless)
Bad timing
LA Confidential

Anyone else love the genre? It'd be great to debate whether film noir is a genre or a cinematic method also
Reply 1
Basic Instinct is the GOAT.
Reply 2
Does Boardwalk Empire qualify as neo-noir. So far we have the right time (prohibition era Atlantic city) we have a dogged detective driven by ulterior motives (seemingly religious) I havent advanced far enough to be able to ferret out our femme fatale but I dont doubt that there will be one. The plot is riddled with betrayals and double crossings as well as the usual human vices. Seems to at least have elements of noir.
Reply 3
Original post by phaedron
I love the noir aesthetic. The low lighting the stylised shots and the unifying story arc. Some of my faves are

Double Indemnity
Strangers on a train
Touch of Evil
Chinatown (by the irredeemable Polanski)
Dark City
A bout de souffle (breathless)
Bad timing
LA Confidential

Anyone else love the genre? It'd be great to debate whether film noir is a genre or a cinematic method also

I don't think film-noirs can be labelled as a genre as it's so loosely or ill defined. But regardless of whether it's a genre or a style, I love a lot of films that fit under the umbrella.

Quick Reply

Latest