Is opportunity cost included in the total cost of a firm?

Watch
d9717
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Fixed Costs + Variable Costs = Total costs.

Normal profit is a fixed cost and involves opportunity costs. So does the 'fixed cost' include opportunity cost?

If the opportunity cost is £30, but obviously since it is an opportunity cost you don't have to pay it. Is the £30 still included in the total costs or not?

If the total fixed cost without opportunity cost was £40 And total variable cost is £10 then TC is £50. But if opportunity cost is included in the fixed cost then total fixed cost is £70 with the same £10 variable cost then TC is £80. However which one of these total costs is correct? I'm confused because opportunity cost is an 'imaginary cost'!

If they are included, why? It is not even a real cost of production!
User1333171
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by d9717)
Fixed Costs + Variable Costs = Total costs.

Normal profit is a fixed cost and involves opportunity costs. So does the 'fixed cost' include opportunity cost?

If the opportunity cost is £30, but obviously since it is an opportunity cost you don't have to pay it. Is the £30 still included in the total costs or not?

If the total fixed cost without opportunity cost was £40 And total variable cost is £10 then TC is £50. But if opportunity cost is included in the fixed cost then total fixed cost is £70 with the same £10 variable cost then TC is £80. However which one of these total costs is correct? I'm confused because opportunity cost is an 'imaginary cost'!

If they are included, why? It is not even a real cost of production!
As you say, opportunity cost isn't actually a cost in the sense of a tangible amount of money being spent. I can see why you'd be getting confused, because having cost as part of the term does have the potential to be confusing, but just think of it as a theoretical term created by economists to examine what a firm is losing out on by focusing on one thing rather than another.
Jubal3478
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry for the late reply, but based on my understanding, opportunity cost is not included in total cost when doing accounting. However in economics, opportunity cost IS included in a firm's total cost since they want to know whether their decision was reasonable enough. It is known as an implicit cost in economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed