The Student Room Group

Was i correct? Should I complain?

I went to a meal with a group of my friends, some of us were 17, some were 18. I am 18, a legal adult, and I wanted to buy a few of my 17 year old friends a bottle of beer with their meal. When I ordered, the waitress went away and along came the manager (i'm not going to name the restaurant, but it starts with 'A', ends with 'K' and has an 'S' in the middle). The manager proceeded to tell me that I wasn't allowed to order the beer because my friends were not 18 (they all had ID clearly showing their age). I told the manager how I was legally able to buy them alcohol as long as I paid for and they drank it with a meal (https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-young-people-law). The manager then told me that I wasn't allowed to buy it because we were acting too drunk already (we hadn't been drinking). I then asked for contact details so that I would be able to formally complain to the company. She agreed and walked off. After about 15 minutes along came a tray full of beers that i had ordered, the waitress telling me that we were all allowed one each, yet there was no details.

Even though I got what i wanted in the end, I still feel disappointed by the restaurant in how they made me feel as though I was wrong and thought I was acting in an drunken/contentious manner to try and not sell me the alcohol, even though I was being extremely polite.
I don't think it's worth complaining. You got what you wanted in the end. Plus, can you really prove that you HADN'T been drinking beforehand? They could easily claim you were and it would be the management's word against yours. Besides they can refuse to serve whoever they like, unfortunately - even if you were completely sober and legal to drink.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending