What is your best way to study in order to get the highest GCSE grades possible?

Watch
Seeyousoon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
We all study differently, I guess, but what would you recommend to a student hoping to achieve the highest GCSE grades possible?

Numbnuts37
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For science I have read through the cgp revision guides, gone over and made mind maps and invited friends over to question each other. For my English I have always written out the essay beforehand multiple times so that I can relay it in my head and for maths I have gone through my past books and past papers and for the things I had forgot I did a worksheet on them, so far it has worked and working hard is the right thing to do. Try multiple ways, you'll find the one that suits you soon.
faggstagram
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this is all stuff that i didn't do last year but should've done:
do your homework
make notes before class (easy to do in subjects like science where you can find out which order your units are being taught in and you can grasp the concepts beforehand)
make review long revision notes after class and keep them all
when it comes down to it condense long notes into smaller notes
revise for all your tests - no matter how big or small
for subjects like maths writing down instructions is no use, practice is essential
for english do a lot of research - it can be hard to come up with original ideas if you lack creativity, but doing in depth research on the pieces studied, the time etc can give you a lot of individual ideas. pinpoint all the pivotal moments on the piece they're most likely to ask you about and formulate your own essay questions
when it comes down to the exam look at the specifications for each subject and make your revision based around solely the topics mentioned so you aren't revising unnecessary topics
cue cards work !!!!!!!! especially in sciences i found for learning key words, definitions and general concepts. they're also great for learning MFL coursework pieces
make mindmaps for subjects and their key points/themes and put them around your bedroom because without realising you will be taking in information as it's constantly there
macmillanREvise and mygcsescience are honestly GOD SENDS - don't be afraid of looking to youtube for revision help, this goes for english as well because for things like poetry you can often find analysis of poetry in youtube videos

hope this helped, if you need anymore feel free to drop me a PM
Lottie97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Actually revise rather then watch back to back episodes of Catfish
All seriousness, English DEFIANTLY read and annotate the novels/poems, learn the ins and outs of them and I tried to learn roughly where key points where in the novel so during the exam I had a rough idea where in the novel things were. Also, for the unseen poetry do past papers and have your teacher or yourself look at them, defiantly worth learning key terms as well like juxtaposition, pathetic fallacy etc. Sites and revision books are also handy because they give a good range of themes and character analysis sort of thing!
Maths use things like MyMaths if your school has it (as awful as it is I found it really useful!) and sites such as mathsisfun for things you don't really understand. Youtube as well!
Everything else is really just a matter of revision, revision, revision. And doing your course work on time is really good because then its one less thing to worry about.
I loveeeeee flash cards for learning key words! I write all my notes, I use different colours for different things so one colour for a key word, (which then goes on a flash card with the meaning), the definition in another colour, important information in another colour. And then I mind map the bits I want to remember!
If you do Geography I highly recommend mind maps for the case studies as well!
But I wouldn't start too early, I'd say revising now is too early. Revise for your mocks if your school does them, but I'd start properly revising around February. If you start now you'll just burn out and all your motivation will be gone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (8)
100%
No (0)
0%

Watched Threads