The Student Room Group

Petrol question

So yeah, sorry if this sounds silly :colondollar:
Can the petrol you put in your car effect it's engine noise/road noise?

I recently got a new car, and I was so excited that I wouldn't have to listen to the roar of my old corsa every time I put my foot down. So I got my new car and everything was good, then I needed petrol so I filled it to about 3/4 full and I noticed as I pulled off my engine seemed to be louder, it's been a week and it has calmed down a bit but it still seems louder. I'm not sure if it's just me tho, maybe I need to be more gentle with the gas :rolleyes:

Petrol wise I've always used BP, should I try somewhere different?
Original post by NatashaLee
So yeah, sorry if this sounds silly :colondollar:

I recently got a new car, and I was so excited that I wouldn't have to listen to the roar of my old corsa every time I put my foot down. So I got my new car and everything was good, then I needed petrol so I filled it to about 3/4 full and I noticed as I pulled off my engine seemed to be louder, it's been a week and it has calmed down a bit but it still seems louder. I'm not sure if it's just me tho, maybe I need to be more gentle with the gas :rolleyes:

Petrol wise I've always used BP, should I try somewhere different?

Car noise differs from car to car.........some car's leak noise in from the outside more than others.
Maybe you are revving higher than usually, though tank being fuller, means car is slightly heavier, hence you need to get the engine to work slightly harder to move.
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
Car noise differs from car to car.........some car's leak noise in from the outside more than others.
Maybe you are revving higher than usually, though tank being fuller, means car is slightly heavier, hence you need to get the engine to work slightly harder to move.

Thanks for replying :smile:

It could possibly the fact the engine is fuller then, it was half full when I picked it up and now its around half full again and seems more like when I first got it.

I have another question I've wondered for a while now, on the logbook does the number of former keepers include yourself? and if a car is transferred to a dealership do they still count on the former keepers?
Thanks for replying :smile:

It could possibly the fact the engine is fuller then, it was half full when I picked it up and now its around half full again and seems more like when I first got it.

I have another question I've wondered for a while now, on the logbook does the number of former keepers include yourself? and if a car is transferred to a dealership do they still count on the former keepers?

Former keepers, is just former owners....dealers are part of that, as someone has to own it when the dealer has it.
If it says 3, than you are the current keeper aka the 4th keeper.
Reply 4
Former keepers, is just former owners....dealers are part of that, as someone has to own it when the dealer has it.
If it says 3, than you are the current keeper aka the 4th keeper.

Thank you for that :smile:

I'm the third keeper then, well really I'm the second as I'm guessing the guy who ordered the car then decided he didn't like the colour is the first although I don't think he ever really had it.
Reply 5
It certainly will if it's a diesel :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Advisor
It certainly will if it's a diesel :wink:

haha thats the first thing my mum mentioned when I told her, however I'm not like her..

... she once filled her diesel car up with petrol, a full £90 tank too :redface:
Reply 7
Former keepers, is just former owners....dealers are part of that, as someone has to own it when the dealer has it.If it says 3, than you are the current keeper aka the 4th keeper.

Nope, that's what the yellow slip is for.
A dealer isn't a registered owner unless they choose to be.
Original post by JC.
Nope, that's what the yellow slip is for.
A dealer isn't a registered owner unless they choose to be.

Really? I seen in some cases where they've been :/

You were either told a lie as to the history of the car or the person is actually an auto-trader pretending to be a private seller.
Reply 10

Go and have a look at a logbook for a vehicle you own.
Whenever you sell a vehicle the keeper gets SOMETHING to post off, not neccesarily the whole logbook.

If you sell to a dealer, the seller posts off the yellow slip and gives the rest of the logbook to the dealer.
If you're selling a car to someone who's exporting a car abroad you send off the purple slip and give the logbook to the buyer.

A dealer *can* fill out the green section if they like, that just adds another owner which is not usually very desirable. It's only really done by numpties that do maybe one or two cars a year or in the case where the seller says "I'm no selling to a dealer" and it's better to just add an owner and get the car out of the seller rather than get no deal at all.
Reply 11
Original post by arson_fire
Some dealerships pre-register cars (by "buying" them from themselves). It`s an accounting trick to manipulate their sales figures, or bulk-purchase discounts from the manufacturers. Basically brand new cars but with 1 owner when you buy them.

This is another valid exception and the only other is where a car was registered to the factory

My Daimler was registered to Jaguar Cars Coventry factory. The registration number is only 2 digits different to the experimental prototype V12 coupe so goodness knows what they were doing with it in there? There's shed loads of options on it, even for a Daimler, though!
I guess the dealer I bought it from registered themselves as a keeper, maybe it was because it was previously used as a demo car? And it was the salesman 'company car' I guess untill I obviously bought it. But because it was originally ordered by a customer I guess it wasn't registered to the dealer in the first instance.

I don't know if that makes any sense haha, but what you guys have said does so thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest