The Student Room Group

What happens if you do extra modules for Further Maths

Hi, I'm currently doing A2 further maths and taking Fp2, Fp3 and M2 this year. From what I've read you need 270 UMS from your top 3 A2 modules. As I've got 89 in D2 I only require 2 more modules but I was thinking if I took S2 as an extra precaution and got 91+ in that module and 90 in Fp2 but lower than 90 in both Fp3 and M2 would S2 possible replace the lowest of the 2 modules? Or would S2 have no effect on my Further maths and remain an extra separate module?
Original post by apple cakes
Hi, I'm currently doing A2 further maths and taking Fp2, Fp3 and M2 this year. From what I've read you need 270 UMS from your top 3 A2 modules. As I've got 89 in D2 I only require 2 more modules but I was thinking if I took S2 as an extra precaution and got 91+ in that module and 90 in Fp2 but lower than 90 in both Fp3 and M2 would S2 possible replace the lowest of the 2 modules? Or would S2 have no effect on my Further maths and remain an extra separate module?

the best results from any allowed combination would be used to calculate your grade. s2 could replace something else if required. That said, the amount of work you'd have to invest to achieve 90+ in s2 might well detract from your other results.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
the best results from any allowed combination would be used to calculate your grade. s2 could replace something else if required. That said, the amount of work you'd have to invest to achieve 90+ in s2 might well detract from your other results.

Thanks for answering. That's very true but I feel as if either I won't be able to 90 M2 (not sure about Fp3 yet haven't done it) also if something like D2 happens and end up with 89. I'll have to think about S2, will try finish a few modules as soon as I can so I can decide to take S2 or not.

Are you saying this because it is an extra module or because getting 90+ would take ages?
Original post by MathMeister
Are you saying this because it is an extra module or because getting 90+ would take ages?

Because even with a relatively straight forward unit like S2 it will take time to master the content to be confident of a 90+ UMS result and will use up valuable revision time during the A level exams. The OP should (and is) thinking about whether it could be better to invest that time to ensure success in the other units rather than spreading themselves too thinly.
Because even with a relatively straight forward unit like S2 it will take time to master the content to be confident of a 90+ UMS result and will use up valuable revision time during the A level exams. The OP should (and is) thinking about whether it could be better to invest that time to ensure success in the other units rather than spreading themselves too thinly.

Ahhh... so basically do what most people are doing and do 2 A2 applied units (eg S2/M2) and FP2/3 so you've already got 1 more than you need. btw you only need a 90% avg in 2 A2 core modules for normal maths.
I suppose- let's say one has done C3 and C4 already (or most of it) by A2 then FP2/3 will be done quicker and you'd get more time to get 90% + in your A2 modules :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by MathMeister
Ahhh... so basically do what most people are doing and do 2 A2 applied units (eg S2/M2) and FP2/3 so you've already got 1 more than you need. btw you only need a 90% avg in 2 A2 core modules for normal maths.
I suppose- let's say one has done C3 and C4 already (or most of it) by A2 then FP2/3 will be done quicker and you'd get more time to get 90% + in your A2 modules :smile:

Sadly our sixth form is a bit stupid, as maths and fm is separate and so I'm studying Fp2 currently differentiation without having done C3 and C4 differentiation also doing M2 without having done M1.

Quick Reply