Did any of you take Maths AO summer 2001?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Did any of you take Maths AO summer 2001? I only ask because taking Edexcel P3 this summer I experienced what can only be described as deja vu. With my AO (sorry, can't remember which board) the questions were as bizarre and off the wall as with P3 which I took a few weeks ago. Anyone care to comment?

Cheers,
Ed
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
All the P3s this year were probably written by the same examiner
Tednol
Rep:
?
Did anyone else who took P3 feel like writing the examiner a note? I was going to write:

"Dear Mr Examiner. I'm terribly sorry your husband/wife has quite obviously just left you, but do you not think it is fair to take it out on us?"

Luckily I restrained myself, but I was pretty damn close! I had lots of time to think about it, seeing as I did all I could do in the first 40 minutes.

Ed
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Give me his/her address and I'll do it.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Realistically how do people think they did in P3? I'd be very very lucky with 40%, expecting nearer 30%. That contrasts nicely with the 100% I'm hoping for in P1 and S1, and the 80% percents in P2 and S2. I've got 78% in my M1 from last year which I'm not retaking.

Ed
Mark Gillan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did the OCR MEI P3, which wasn't that bad in terms of its difficulty. I din't do that well in the following P3 Comprehension paper though. I'm still expecting about 80-85 UMS though.
Vin
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I did Edexcel P3 and I thought it was too long - an extra 10 minutes would have been all right.

I think the questions were very ususual, nothing like the previous papers. If you had done the Edexcel one, there was a volume of cylinder question which involved setting up a differential equation: it took a very long time to get to the required answer. Funnily enough, I messed up the easy last question, the partial fractions one. Cunningly disguised as a short question with only 3 lines to it, it was worth a total of 16 marks in 3 parts. It was the first time repeated fractions came up this year on Edexcel as I recall, and my mind didn't click that day - I split the function into 2 instead 3 fractions. Literally, nobody in my school could finish the paper (those who did, skipped some/parts of the earlier questions). All in all, grade boundaries should definitely be significantly re-adjusted for this paper.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Strange. I am doing CCEA (Northern Ireland Board) for maths, CCEA used to be the hardest examining board, but now i say it is the easiest. It had to lower its standards because the british boards were easier, but from what i hear of the maths, P3 was deadly for those doing Edexcel, whereas us that do CCEA P3 was easy, as were all the modules. OK, it's bad news, because grade boundaries will probably shift upwards for us NI ones. Do yoons not do GCSE Additional Maths? It helps so much. Actually there was stuff on Additional that I didn't do at A Level, such as Matrices, and central tendency thing. I think yoons are disadvantaged because there isn't add maths in england and wales.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (292)
34.19%
No (562)
65.81%

Watched Threads