Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently doing 3 AS's, Biology, Chemistry and Geography.
    I'm interested in applying to do medicine or dentistry at university. The thing is, all the places i've seen say they want 3 A levels and 1 AS. I am taking up AS sociology next year, so when i get my final results, i will have 3 A levels and an AS. However, when i apply i won't have the extra AS needed.
    Can i in any way let the university know that i am taking it up next year and WILL have it at the end of year 13?
    I'm worried that they will think i am doing just 3 subjects.
    Thanks for any responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    I'm interested in applying to do medicine or dentistry at university. The thing is, all the places i've seen say they want 3 A levels and 1 AS. I am taking up AS sociology next year, so when i get my final results, i will have 3 A levels and an AS. However, when i apply i won't have the extra AS needed.
    Can i in any way let the university know that i am taking it up next year and WILL have it at the end of year 13?
    on your UCAS form you put down what subjects you are currently taking in your a2 year aswell as what you took in you're as year so it shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    on your UCAS form you put down what subjects you are currently taking in your a2 year aswell as what you took in you're as year so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Oh right, thankyou! That's a big relief

ReputationRep:
    I took as politics while doing my A2s, and I just put the grade as pending, similar to how I put my A2 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, thankyou! That's a big relief
    Yes but Sociology is not exactly an academically rigorous subject unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    it shud b okay

most of the med schs i applied to wanted bio.. which i didnt take..
    so i'm now doing it with my a2 subjectys...
    actually just had the exam today need a B to get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phil1988)
    Yes but Sociology is not exactly an academically rigorous subject unfortunately.
    That's rubbish. Prove otherwise...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phil1988)
    i'd have thought something like sociology wuld be quite beneficial for a course like medicine- shows you can look at humans as humans and the effects of different things on their collective mental state, not just how to heal them

ReputationRep:

I'd just like to raise a point before you consider your career plans....( this is directed at all people with an interest in med/dent )

just to mention that there seems to be a great number of people saying things along the lines of " i want to do medicine or dentistry or vet science " are you SURE YOU REALLY want to do it if you are thinking like that?!/?!?!? it gives the impression that you want to do it JUST because it is a respectable course, and on the whole doesn't give a good impression

on the other hand, it is good that your targets are set high but swapping dent to med isn't good as dentistry and med are completelyyyyyyyyy different to one another

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    i'd have thought something like sociology wuld be quite beneficial for a course like medicine- shows you can look at humans as humans and the effects of different things on their collective mental state, not just how to heal them
    We had to do an "enabling" course in Medical sociology this year. It was a total and utter piss-take. Hated it.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2004

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.