Does darwinism and natural selection mean I cannot have children?

Watch
GodAtum
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am a scientist and atheist, and have always believed I have a poor set of genes. Social darwinism and natural selection has played its part and that I am simply not up to societies standards. I've come to conclusion that I can't have children, because I would passing on bad genes, science is certainly telling me this. Science is telling that I cannot have a girlfriend or a relationship, lifes just not meant to be sometimes, I didn't choose to be born in this world, I didn't choose to go through this in some ways, its natural selection playing its part and I fully accept it.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GodAtum)
I am a scientist and atheist, and have always believed I have a poor set of genes. Social darwinism and natural selection has played its part and that I am simply not up to societies standards. I've come to conclusion that I can't have children, because I would passing on bad genes, science is certainly telling me this. Science is telling that I cannot have a girlfriend or a relationship, lifes just not meant to be sometimes, I didn't choose to be born in this world, I didn't choose to go through this in some ways, its natural selection playing its part and I fully accept it.
Don't be daft.
ilem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Time to get out in the real world instead of filling your head with the principles of natural selection, which are evidently doing you no good.
nohomo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well natural selection is all about having the right genes to survive in your environment. As a scientist you are probably getting a good income and hold a respected job so your genes are suited to being passed on to some degree

Physical strength isn't necessary to flourish in a reproductive sense nowadays...otherwise manual labourers would be the ones with the most money and respect but that's not the case
..it's people like bill gates, creative musicians, scientists, doctors, actuaries...

Have you.considered starting a relationship online if you struggle socially?
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do you think you have bad genes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
High Stakes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're clearly not a scientist if you aren't at all familiar with Darwin's law. Natural selection is where the organisms that are best adapted to their habitat, can survive and thus pass on their genetics. There is no selection pressure currently being placed on humans - You don't have to look like a model or grow insane amounts of muscle during puberty in order to live long enough to develop working reproductive organs. This implies you can feel free to pass on your genes because they are suited to our current environment. You're so weird.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why exactly do you think that you have bad genes?

(Original post by Asklepios)
Why do you think you have bad genes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beat me to it.

(I think the OP is trolling though. Let's be honest, the last place a scientist would go to seek this kind of advice is TSR)
ilem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Why exactly do you think that you have bad genes?

Beat me to it.

(I think the OP is trolling though. Let's be honest, the last place a scientist would go to to seek this kind of advice is TSR)
By 'scientist' he probably meant that he has a logical mind and seeks rational answers to questions. Combine that with low self-esteem and some Googling, and you have the OP.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by High Stakes)
You're clearly not a scientist if you aren't at all familiar with Darwin's law. Natural selection is where the organisms that are best adapted to their habitat, can survive and thus pass on their genetics. There is no selection pressure currently being placed on humans - You don't have to look like a model or grow insane amounts of muscle during puberty in order to live long enough to develop working reproductive organs. This implies you can feel free to pass on your genes because they are suited to our current environment. You're so weird.
Yet if you look like a troll and have piss poor social skills you are less likely to get a mate and have children. Natural selection in action. There are selection pressure being put on humans. The whole act of dating and deciding whether or not you would like to **** someone is a form of selection pressure. Some people are more ****able than others.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good looking people could be more likely to pass on their genes though, which is what I think the OP is referring to.
High Stakes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Good looking people could be more likely to pass on their genes though, which is what I think the OP is referring to.
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Yet if you look like a troll and have piss poor social skills you are less likely to get a mate and have children. Natural selection in action. There are selection pressure being put on humans. The whole act of dating and deciding whether or not you would like to **** someone is a form of selection pressure. Some people are more ****able than others.
That's true. But we're talking about fundamental Darwinism, where he wouldn't be able to pass on his genes. Sure he could be really unattractive but I doubt that would stop him forever from impregnating someone else? Don't quote me on that though, not sure.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's true. But we're talking about fundamental Darwinism, where he wouldn't be able to pass on his genes. Sure he could be really unattractive but I doubt that would stop him forever from impregnating someone else? Don't quote me on that though, not sure.
The male peacock with **** feathers is going to have less luck than that peacock over there with flashing neon lights. Your physical appearance plays a similar role in humans.

Why is it that in humans it is the females that pretty themselves up? It is the other way round in loads of other species. :holmes:

Also as horrible as this is rape also plays a part. It doesn't matter if you are ugly if you are say a alpha male that just has his way with whatever he want. Not saying OP should do this of course. :erm: Just that being 'ugly' doesn't mean nature has decided you should not pass on your genes.
GodAtum
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Exactly. As someone who is unattractive to women, I am less likely to mate with a female then hunky guuys.
username1398367
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm gonna say this 1ce mate: looks are not the only thing that people care about, especially as they get older. You're at a disadvantage (if you truly are butters) but not out of the game.

Everyone compromises when picking their partner. Just think of love as a vector in an n-dimensional space: there are many component combinations that result in the same magnitude.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dire wolf)
I'm gonna say this 1ce mate: looks are not the only thing that people care about, especially as they get older. You're at a disadvantage (if you truly are butters) but not out of the game.

Everyone compromises when picking their partner. Just think of love as a vector in an n-dimensional space: there are many component combinations that result in the same magnitude.
I love you.
Arrow_x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exactly. As someone who is unattractive to women, I am less likely to mate with a female then hunky guuys.
Ok, I'm calling troll.
Comus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Actually, genetic diversity is important to species survival even if on the face of it they are 'poor genes'. For instance people with one allele which codes for sickle cell anaemia show increased resistance to malaria without exhibiting the symptoms of sickle cell anaemia. Genes which are advantageous in one ecosystem may be disadvantageous in another. Evolution is not survival of the fittest but the survival of the best fit.

Social Darwinism is pseudo-scientific nonsense.
Emil Cioran
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

That surprised me. Those fat neckbeards who always talk about being atheists or anti-theists online usually seem to have elite genetics.

And fully accepting your own ancestry dying off? True left-wing warrior. Talk about never giving up without a fight.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (114)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (346)
14.93%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (253)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (325)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (105)
4.53%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (135)
5.83%
Loneliness (200)
8.63%
Financial worries (87)
3.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (96)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (113)
4.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (123)
5.31%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (203)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (217)
9.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise