50% similarity between siblings Watch

jsmith6131
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why do we say that siblings an farental twins are 50% similar?
if each sperm and each egg contains any random combination of each parents full genome (due to crossing over) how can such a figure be used?
Thanks
maxwynne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
50% of our genes are from our mother and 50% are from our father - 23 chromosomes from each. Our parents have 2 copies of each chromosome, so it is 50/50 which copy of each chromosome we will inherit. It is like flipping a coin 46 times , and on average as it is random, and the parents have 2 copies of each chromosome , it is likely that around half of the chromosomes we have will be the ones that the sibling inherited. A good way to test it out is by flipping a coin and recording if it is heads or tails each of the 46 times. Then by repeating it again, you can compare and the chances are there should be around 50% the same
jsmith6131
Rep:
?
(Original post by maxwynne)
50% of our genes are from our mother and 50% are from our father - 23 chromosomes from each. Our parents have 2 copies of each chromosome, so it is 50/50 which copy of each chromosome we will inherit. It is like flipping a coin 46 times , and on average as it is random, and the parents have 2 copies of each chromosome , it is likely that around half of the chromosomes we have will be the ones that the sibling inherited. A good way to test it out is by flipping a coin and recording if it is heads or tails each of the 46 times. Then by repeating it again, you can compare and the chances are there should be around 50% the same
ok so its not 50% ALWAYS its 50% - most likely (on average)...right?
thanks
maxwynne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeah, exactly.. this might explain it better..
A good way to look is by using cards. If you deal 26 cards for a sibling ( half a deck of 52 - using them as a metaphor of one parents chromosomes) and record them. Then shuffle and do it again for each sibling. The chances are the sibling will share around 13 cards which is half of the 26 dealt. So the two siblings share 25 % of your mothers DNA . The same thing works for the father, showing you should share 25% of your fathers DNA, making 50% overall.
Obviously it's averages, and sometimes the siblings may share less than 25% of one parents DNA ( if only 10 of the cards match for example, metaphorically speaking).

nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jsmith6131)
ok so its not 50% ALWAYS its 50% - most likely (on average)...right?
thanks
Its an extremely simplified model used when looking at probabilities of single mutations e.g. those that confer diseases. It does not imply anything about actual DNA.
jsmith6131
Rep:
?
thanks all (
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.15%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.48%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
19.09%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (50)
15.15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (39)
11.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.3%

Watched Threads