Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, i was just wondering what people think my ideal weight should be. I'm 6'1 / 6'2 and i currently weigh 72kg. I know that is not heavy enough and have been putting on weight for a while now (6kg in about 6 weeks). Lucky i have no body fat whatsoever, its all msucle that im putting on thanks to my weight training, and im beggining to think my body is looking better and better every day, well developed chest now. However, i need to know when to stop, i was thinking about 80kg ??

cheers for the input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    hi, i was just wondering what people think my ideal weight should be. I'm 6'1 / 6'2 and i currently weigh 72kg. I know that is not heavy enough and have been putting on weight for a while now (6kg in about 6 weeks). Lucky i have no body fat whatsoever, its all msucle that im putting on thanks to my weight training, and im beggining to think my body is looking better and better every day, well developed chest now. However, i need to know when to stop, i was thinking about 80kg ??

cheers for the input.
    If you are just gaining muscle and not fat, you don't really need to stop, just develop yourself to what you would be happy with (figure and strength wise).

ReputationRep:
    how old are you?

ReputationRep:

cheers for the input.
    72kg is not that much underweight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    72kg is not that much underweight
    iv just turned 18. it is quite underweight, maybe around 78 is average. but i dont want to put on any body fat so i really have to burn myself in the gym to keep it all as muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Keep it up! Don't stop!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Keep it up! Don't stop!
    ok so ill end up about 120kg bison. im not going for worlds strongest man, i just need to be a decent weight.

ReputationRep:
    iv just turned 18. it is quite underweight, maybe around 78 is average. but i dont want to put on any body fat so i really have to burn myself in the gym to keep it all as muscle.
    Don't do much (if any) cardio work in the gym - that will merely hamper your efforts to gain muscle!

You don't have a problem atm - however, since you want to gain weight - just gain it through muscle growth and stop when you feel you like the look of your body, and don't want to gain any more weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    cheers for that, says i should be 75, but ill aim for 80-85

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    According to that, i need to put on 13 pounds till i am the "people's choice ideal weight" i can't see that happening though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Don't do much (if any) cardio work in the gym - that will merely hamper your efforts to gain muscle!

You don't have a problem atm - however, since you want to gain weight - just gain it through muscle growth and stop when you feel you like the look of your body, and don't want to gain any more weight.
    corey you seem to know what your talking about. i only do weight training. i prefer free weights, and usually do reps rather than explosive lifting. is this ok ? it seems to be working good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6ft 4 and am 76 kg. I've been doing weights for about a year now and I think that my current weight is about right for my age. Remember as u get older your more likely to put on weight easily so being a bit underweight currently isn't such a bad thing.

I've found doing lighter weights (about 75% of my maximum) and more sets is better in developing muscle over a period of time. Anyway you don't want to much muscle so u look like weightlifter.

ReputationRep:
    corey you seem to know what your talking about. i only do weight training. i prefer free weights, and usually do reps rather than explosive lifting. is this ok ? it seems to be working good.
    I'm no expert, 'imasillynarb' is the best to talk to.

However, to actually develop and build muscle you need to definetly progressivly lifting heavier and heavier, low weights/high reps doesn't really work. You should be aiming to lift a heavy weight for you, even if it just for 3-5 reps.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think theres much more I can add, corey has pretty much said it all !

ReputationRep:
    i agree! anyway, changing the subject, it's my birthday today!

ReputationRep:
    weight doesnt only depend on how much fat you have, it depends on muscle, bone density etc. As log as your fit, you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    If oyu want to build muscle, eat 1gram of protein for every kilo of bodyweight you have, e.g. you're 72 kilos, try to eat 50grams+ of protein a day.

One amazing source of protein can be tuna; one tiny can (one sandwich) contains around 18g of protein usually. Instead of going for the crisps for a snack make yourself a tuna sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    If oyu want to build muscle, eat 1gram of protein for every kilo of bodyweight you have, e.g. you're 72 kilos, try to eat 50grams+ of protein a day.

One amazing source of protein can be tuna; one tiny can (one sandwich) contains around 18g of protein usually. Instead of going for the crisps for a snack make yourself a tuna sandwich.
    Thats not nearly enough protein, and you mean 1gram per pound of bodyweight, not kilo. And if youre looking to bulk(put muscle on) it should be nearer 1.5grams per pound bodyweight. So if you weigh 200lbs, youre gonna be wanting 300grams of protein a day.

1 tin of tuna contains about 30g of protein(at least the tins I get do)...and if you have a tuna sandwhich, make sure its brown bread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Thats not nearly enough protein, and you mean 1gram per pound of bodyweight, not kilo. And if youre looking to bulk(put muscle on) it should be nearer 1.5grams per pound bodyweight. So if you weigh 200lbs, youre gonna be wanting 300grams of protein a day.

1 tin of tuna contains about 30g of protein(at least the tins I get do)...and if you have a tuna sandwhich, make sure its brown bread
    Yeah you're right it's 1g per pound or slightly more, depending on exactly how much you want to bulk up etc.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.