To include being an au pair? Watch

ellie397
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am planning on taking a gap year and going to America as an Au pair.I was wondering whether it's wise to include this into my personal statement incase my plans don't work out. Also do i have to select deferred entry when adding the choices or can I just select defered entry at a later date?Any replies would be great.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ellie397)
I am planning on taking a gap year and going to America as an Au pair.I was wondering whether it's wise to include this into my personal statement incase my plans don't work out. Also do i have to select deferred entry when adding the choices or can I just select defered entry at a later date?Any replies would be great.
I don't know about the second bit, but with the first bit you can mention that you plan to do that and leave it at that - focus on what you have done and talk about that, in relation to your interest in the course you are applying for
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When would you be asking to defer? Are you not certain about taking a gap year yet?

I am pretty sure that if you ask to defer after you receive an offer, this is done at the university's discretion. They will normally allow it, especially for candidates who need to defer due to a change in circumstances/personal reasons.

As some people get offers almost straight away, I think it would be a risk not to put in deferred entry when sending the application off.
ellie397
Rep:
?
As I have to go through the whole application process when becoming an au pair I'm not 100 percent sure that I would be able to go / have time.When applying for defered entry I thought you got put into a seperate pile to the applicants going straight away.Therefore I thought it would be easier to go into the defered pile as it will have less applicants, then to go back and ask to cancell my defered application and go straigh away.If this makes any sense.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As I have to go through the whole application process when becoming an au pair I'm not 100 percent sure that I would be able to go / have time.When applying for defered entry I thought you got put into a seperate pile to the applicants going straight away.Therefore I thought it would be easier to go into the defered pile as it will have less applicants, then to go back and ask to cancell my defered application and go straigh away.If this makes any sense.
If you apply deferred entry, universities do not have to allow you a place in the coming September, especially if they have already filled the course. If the au-pair plan does not work out, could you not find alternative work for your gap year?
ellie397
Rep:
?
I've decided to just apply to go next year and not talk about my gap year in my personal statement.Then when I know it's for definite I can defer my entry and I will know that I have a place for the following year .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (379)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.33%

Watched Threads