The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pixsoul
Snap! (On both counts)

Tomorrow is going to be painful - certainly not missed the Sunday blues. Hope your first day back is ok.

I've set myself a goal of a book a week. Were the ones you have read so far any good?

The cubing as well or just work / reading?

A book a week seemed steep so I only went for a book every other week. I finished a sports psychology book called bounce which was very interesting and made me want to go back to when I was 10 and stick to things instead of giving up. The second was blind faith by Ben Elton, a great book about a future world where the church rule every aspect of life and it's all public and privacy is a crime.

Just started the man in the high castle, very excited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow either. It just brings unnecessary frustration and it's really disappointing because I was so happy to get this job and it is completely not what I was led to believe it would be.
Original post by Motorbiker
The cubing as well or just work / reading?

A book a week seemed steep so I only went for a book every other week. I finished a sports psychology book called bounce which was very interesting and made me want to go back to when I was 10 and stick to things instead of giving up. The second was blind faith by Ben Elton, a great book about a future world where the church rule every aspect of life and it's all public and privacy is a crime.

Just started the man in the high castle, very excited.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha the work and reading bit, not the cubing, sorry. They involve some sort of logic that I really don't have - I managed once (and I didn't just rearrange all the stickers :tongue:) and wanted to frame the thing afterwards! It's one of those things though which I know can be quite relaxing given the chance.

I've just started The Girl on the Train. Started and finished Woman in the Van last night (insomnia kicked in again :woo:... :angry:) wouldn't recommend the latter. I haven't got a thing for books about people and transport - both just came up in recommendations and I've been using that to get started.

Original post by Ethereal
I'm not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow either. It just brings unnecessary frustration and it's really disappointing because I was so happy to get this job and it is completely not what I was led to believe it would be.

:hugs:

Is a change a option? Or is there anything outside of work to help you unwind?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pixsoul

Not immediately, as far as I can see anyway. Time to unwind is in short supply because of the doctorate - another year and it's finished and my evenings/weekends/annual leave are mine again
This might sound rather odd but over the last couple of days, with things not being brilliant, I've really started to miss my old uni library. There was something kinda comforting about it, especially the downstairs computer area.
Not immediately, as far as I can see anyway. Time to unwind is in short supply because of the doctorate - another year and it's finished and my evenings/weekends/annual leave are mine again

The year will fly by. We'll be calling you Dr Ethereal (and you get to wear the funky coloured robe with the floppy hat!) soon enough :smile:

Can't remember if it was a conversation here or not, but someone I spoke to once said the floppy hat was a significant perk to the PhD :tongue:

Although in short supply, I hope you get some time out to reset / recharge when needed.

Original post by jelly1000
This might sound rather odd but over the last couple of days, with things not being brilliant, I've really started to miss my old uni library. There was something kinda comforting about it, especially the downstairs computer area.

It's not odd - for some people it'll be home, others a coffee shop, the beach, countryside, or maybe even another country entirely. It's just somewhere safe and calm when the rest of the world seems too crazy.

Hope you feel better soon :hugs:
Original post by Pixsoul

The year will fly by. We'll be calling you Dr Ethereal (and you get to wear the funky coloured robe with the floppy hat!) soon enough :smile:

Can't remember if it was a conversation here or not, but someone I spoke to once said the floppy hat was a significant perk to the PhD :tongue:

Although in short supply, I hope you get some time out to reset / recharge when needed.

It's not odd - for some people it'll be home, others a coffee shop, the beach, countryside, or maybe even another country entirely. It's just somewhere safe and calm when the rest of the world seems too crazy.

Hope you feel better soon :hugs:

Thanks. I hope so too!
Original post by Pixsoul
Haha the work and reading bit, not the cubing, sorry. They involve some sort of logic that I really don't have - I managed once (and I didn't just rearrange all the stickers :tongue:) and wanted to frame the thing afterwards! It's one of those things though which I know can be quite relaxing given the chance.

I've just started The Girl on the Train. Started and finished Woman in the Van last night (insomnia kicked in again :woo:... :angry:) wouldn't recommend the latter. I haven't got a thing for books about people and transport - both just came up in recommendations and I've been using that to get started.

Tbh I solve it more by memorization than logic and skills. Same way I did Al of school and university.

What did you use for recommendations? Using goodreads or just word of mouth stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh I solve it more by memorization than logic and skills. Same way I did Al of school and university.

What did you use for recommendations? Using goodreads or just word of mouth stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on Goodreads :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Word of mouth and just looking at the most popular lists on Amazon at the moment (rather than my 'recommended' list which consists almost entirely of work-related or law books - I'm in need of something a bit lighter).
:banghead: trying to respond to stupid questions without saying "WTF? this is stupid. FUUUUUU". It's hard!
:banghead: trying to respond to stupid questions without saying "WTF? this is stupid. FUUUUUU". It's hard!

For your desk :tongue:

1284733557544_9552408.png

First day back and I'm ill :grumble:
Today has been a massive massive struggle :frown:
Original post by Pixsoul

I ended up simply not replying. My jaw is still agape at the stupidity of what the email contained.

Original post by Pixsoul

:grouphugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I ended up simply not replying. My jaw is still agape at the stupidity of what the email contained.

:laugh:

I get those daily - usually I wait an hour or two before replying so they don't get the unfiltered version of my thoughts.

Thanks, hope its been better for you

:wavey:

It feels like I haven't spoken to you in forever!
Original post by Pixsoul
:laugh:

I get those daily - usually I wait an hour or two before replying so they don't get the unfiltered version of my thoughts.

The unfiltered version of my thoughts was "you are so stupid I can only assume you are the product of incest"
Original post by Pixsoul

:wavey:

It feels like I haven't spoken to you in forever!

Latest

Trending

Trending