Ceriidwen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm basically stuck in a pickle with which course I should take to study in university, but every option has it's issue.. Basically I just want you guys' opinions.

The courses I've been looking at:
- Sports & Exercise Science (Career issues)
- Sports Therapy/Rehab (Career/Salary issues)
- Physiotherapy (Will only have AS Biology not a full A2 grade)
- Radiography (Last option)

I've really have my heart set on going to university next year, so ideally I don't want to stay an extra year in school just to gain my A2 grade in Biology. My other option is to have a gap year working as a chalet girl, or something to do with sport/skiing, but would it be any use to the courses I'd want to do above?

Anyway what are your opinions, or what would you choose?
pink.flamingo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My advice is to do what you enjoy most so you don't end up switching your course or dropping out next year. You could always defer entry so you have longer to make your decision and do some chalet work and earn money if you wanted to
nerdcake
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Remind me what subjects and grades you have? According to the UCAS course search, there are quite a few unis which accept PE instead of Biology for Physiotherapy:

Birmingham
Bournemouth
Bradford
Brighton
UCLan
UEA
Glasgow Cali
Keele
Liverpool
Manchester Met
Nottingham
Sheffield Hallam
Worcester
York St John

They require between AAB and BBB. If the grades are an issue you can either go for a foundation year before your Physio degree or do Sport Science (more widely accepted than Sport Rehab) and then do Physio as a postgrad. The latter option will be more costly.
pink.flamingo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a friend doing physio at uni now and by the sounds of it work exeperience is quite useful for getting in so that's also something to think about as well if you're applying for those courses
Ceriidwen
Rep:
?
(Original post by nerdcake)
Remind me what subjects and grades you have? According to the UCAS course search, there are quite a few unis which accept PE instead of Biology for Physiotherapy:

Birmingham
Bournemouth
Bradford
Brighton
UCLan
UEA
Glasgow Cali
Keele
Liverpool
Manchester Met
Nottingham
Sheffield Hallam
Worcester
York St John

They require between AAB and BBB. If the grades are an issue you can either go for a foundation year before your Physio degree or do Sport Science (more widely accepted than Sport Rehab) and then do Physio as a postgrad. The latter option will be more costly.
Psychology C, PE C & Biology U
I've dropped A2 biology, so basically I'm only doing 2 A Levels but I have with welsh baccalaureate that counts as a third A level in some universities.
Ceriidwen
Rep:
?
(Original post by pink.flamingo)
I have a friend doing physio at uni now and by the sounds of it work exeperience is quite useful for getting in so that's also something to think about as well if you're applying for those courses
Aw okay, thank you!
bownessie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Generally I would advise against physio, it may be outdated advice but when I was looking at it 3/4 years ago the market was saturated with trained physios and it was a real challenge to get jobs. I don't know how the state of affairs is not, but that certainly put me off physio. The one thing that is worth considering is, though it would take more time, you could do physio after doing a sport science-y degree.
nerdcake
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ceriidwen)
Psychology C, PE C & Biology U
I've dropped A2 biology, so basically I'm only doing 2 A Levels but I have with welsh baccalaureate that counts as a third A level in some universities.
Ok, so supposing you got CC at A2, that's 160 UCAS points. Which according to Whatuni, is enough to get you into Sport Science at Kingston, UEL, Stoke College and Manchester Met. If you were able to get BB (200 points) that also opens up UCS, South Bank, Bucks New and London Met. If you did well in the degree you would then be able to progress to Physio as a postgrad.

The other option is a Foundation Year. I can only find 3 Foundation Years for Healthcare degrees on the UCAS search, but a bit of thorough Googling ought to turn out some more. Coventry requires 100 UCAS points for their foundation, while UWE assesses each applicant individually so it's a combination of grades and experience. Huddersfield only consider applicants with 2 years experience so that's probably not for you.
Ceriidwen
Rep:
?
(Original post by nerdcake)
Ok, so supposing you got CC at A2, that's 160 UCAS points. Which according to Whatuni, is enough to get you into Sport Science at Kingston, UEL, Stoke College and Manchester Met. If you were able to get BB (200 points) that also opens up UCS, South Bank, Bucks New and London Met. If you did well in the degree you would then be able to progress to Physio as a postgrad.

The other option is a Foundation Year. I can only find 3 Foundation Years for Healthcare degrees on the UCAS search, but a bit of thorough Googling ought to turn out some more. Coventry requires 100 UCAS points for their foundation, while UWE assesses each applicant individually so it's a combination of grades and experience. Huddersfield only consider applicants with 2 years experience so that's probably not for you.
Thank you so much for this! I definitely have a lot of researching to do.
HLH93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
HI, Ive just finished my Foundation degree at UCLAN. It was a two year degree and the tutors were really helpful, you can go from this degree onto sports therapy, nursing, physic etc. Myself I'm applying for physiotherapy (only sent of my ucas last week), i emailed all the universities i was interested in to see which didn't except the foundation degree. The ones i got no from were cardiff, uwe and liverpool. Just ask first or ring up, better to ask than apply and get rejected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.56%
I'm not sure (54)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (347)
29.21%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (579)
48.74%

Watched Threads