The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Commuting to Cambridge from London daily ?

I got admission in Anglia Ruskin Cambridge Campus: Computer Science. Would it be okay if I live with my family in London and commute daily for 1:15-1:30 hr via National Rail everyday or I should get accommodation in Cambridge ? How many hours a week or days a week will my classes be ? I'm sorry I don't know much yet so I'm in dire need of suggestions. :frown:
Reply 1
Hey,

I am going to be travelling to Cambridge from London too. My journey is only 1:30hr in total from my house which isn't really that bad. I paid £30 for a 16-25 railcard, so if you're in the age range you can pay considerably less for travel ( £13.00) return ticket, instead of £18-25.
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 2
Plenty of people who commute to ARU in Cambridge from London daily manage it fine, sometimes they don't show up because of late trains etc but as I said they do manage.

Original post by nikolaez
Hey, £30 for a 16-25 railcard.
As this person stated, it will save you a lot of money, would highly recommend you get a rail card. Going into the second year of Computer Science, timetables are okay, but I think most of our stuff is going to be at compass house due to the rebuild on main campus.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey @Kirbxe

You mentioned you're now on your second year of computer science, im starting my first in september. How is the timetabling like? Anything i need to know before i start haha?

Thanks bro :wink:
Reply 4
Hey @Kirbxe

You mentioned you're now on your second year of computer science, im starting my first in september. How is the timetabling like? Anything i need to know before i start haha?

Thanks bro :wink:

Don't buy any books because you won't use them in the first year, lol.

Timetabling was good in general, apart from one lecture in the second semester that was 5-6pm... A few people didn't turn up weekly because they had to commute. But yours will be different of course. I like my current timetable for the first semester at the moment though. :-)

Not much to it, none of it is too difficult, I like how it is structured and I'm satisfied, but it's really what YOU make of it.
Reply 5
if i don't find a room soon, i will be commuting too, liverpool street to cambridge station,

guys good luck getting your trains, sometimes they are nice and comfortable with tables and chargers, sometimes you get this nasty old cardboard seats with no chargers.

there used to be a chill room, now its gone or has been moved, i would have seriously slept overnight just to save £13 a week
Reply 6
Original post by Mystro
if i don't find a room soon, i will be commuting too, liverpool street to cambridge station,

guys good luck getting your trains, sometimes they are nice and comfortable with tables and chargers, sometimes you get this nasty old cardboard seats with no chargers.

there used to be a chill room, now its gone or has been moved, i would have seriously slept overnight just to save £13 a week

Isn't it cheaper travelling from tottenham hale to cambridge instead of liverpool street?
Reply 7
Original post by Kirbxe
Don't buy any books because you won't use them in the first year, lol.

Timetabling was good in general, apart from one lecture in the second semester that was 5-6pm... A few people didn't turn up weekly because they had to commute. But yours will be different of course. I like my current timetable for the first semester at the moment though. :-)

Not much to it, none of it is too difficult, I like how it is structured and I'm satisfied, but it's really what YOU make of it.

Thanks man!

Did you have to go 5 days a week? :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks man!

Did you have to go 5 days a week? :smile:

Four times a week in the first year, this year five, well first semester anyway. Hopefully I get a day off in the second semester.
Reply 9
i would think so, but im from romford, so its easier for me to take the tfl to liverpool street, then straight to cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending