Extra Reading for a combined Anthropology and Sociology course Watch

GrahamTheCat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently writing my personal statement for combined anthropology and sociology courses. And I feel I need a book for 'extra reading' to demonstrate my interest in both subjects and how they link. So could anyone possibley recommend an interesting book for me to read which relates to both sociology and anthropology? I don't mind what it's about as long as it's non-fiction and not an 'introduction to something' book. Thanks in advance if anyone knows of anything good!
MercedesAnjelica
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't have any extra reading ideas to help you with, I didn't actually mention any on my personal statement 😂 I said I had been to a few lectures though. I'm applying for combined anthro/socio at durham, are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GrahamTheCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by MercedesAnjelica)
I don't have any extra reading ideas to help you with, I didn't actually mention any on my personal statement ������ I said I had been to a few lectures though. I'm applying for combined anthro/socio at durham, are you? Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been reading The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo. He is technically a psychologist but I can easily relate it to anthropology and sociology as it's all about 'how good people turn bad'. And yes! Durham is definitely my favourite looking course at the moment! And it's crazy to know someone else who wants to study the same thing as me. Whenever I tell people what I want to do, they always aks 'What is Anthropology?!'
MercedesAnjelica
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GrahamTheCat)
I have been reading The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo. He is technically a psychologist but I can easily relate it to anthropology and sociology as it's all about 'how good people turn bad'. And yes! Durham is definitely my favourite looking course at the moment! And it's crazy to know someone else who wants to study the same thing as me. Whenever I tell people what I want to do, they always aks 'What is Anthropology?!'
Ah cool, would you recommend it? (always good to read around the subject even if I've applied already) Yeah same! It's my 1st choice, so praying I get an offer! Ahaa same! I'm so bad at explaining what it is as well, I just say 'the study of people and cultures and stuff over time' which is so vague Where else are you applying?
GrahamTheCat
Rep:
?
Ah cool, would you recommend it? (always good to read around the subject even if I've applied already) Yeah same! It's my 1st choice, so praying I get an offer! Ahaa same! I'm so bad at explaining what it is as well, I just say 'the study of people and cultures and stuff over time' which is so vague Where else are you applying?
Yeah it's really good, if a tad depressing at times as Zimbardo talks a lot about the horrible things that the guards did in his Stanford Prison Experiment. I have got an offer from Kent, Exeter, Manchester and Southampton. But not from Durham yet. I hear they are quite slow in replying though. What about you?
MercedesAnjelica
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well done! I have offers from Manchester, Birmingham and UEA - waiting on Durham and Exeter 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
GrahamTheCat
Rep:
?
Well done! I have offers from Manchester, Birmingham and UEA - waiting on Durham and Exeter
Awesome! Well Done! Have you visited any of the unis?
MercedesAnjelica
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I've visited Durham Manchester and UEA, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GrahamTheCat
Rep:
?
Yeah I've visited Durham Manchester and UEA, you?
I haven't visited any of them! So literally have no idea which uni I'll be firming at the moment. I'm waiting for Manchester to send me info on an offer-holder open day which I'll probably go to. And I've booked open days at exeter and kent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads