The Student Room Group

Lifting for 4 years. 100kg bench? Not even once

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In One Ear
As much as doing 3s for curls and 5s for bigger compounds is questionable logic I don't why everyone is going crazy over his claims of a 50kg*3 barbell curl, its not that strong- I reckon I could get close for 3 strict reps (although its a dumb movement to be trying to do really low reps for...).

50kg curl is nothing in its self, 50kg curl when you're 60kg though, more impressive.

This is the blog of the curl what he presses, row more than he benches, row more than he squats and almost row as much as he deadlifts, so you know, anything is possible. RowBro.
Reply 121
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
He seems determined not to take advice. He has been lifting for years, is only 60kg, squats something like 80kg~, benches 75kg at a push and deadlifts a touch over 100kg~. Seems determined to continue as things are, I kind of admire his persistence.

I've read the advice but some advice I cannot mend unfortunately. You know why my deads and Squat is at that weight yet you try to make everyone think I'm not prioritising them without a good reason. Good man. Good people lift each other up. Not to put them down. You've been negative to me for a long time now. I expect better from someone like you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
Original post by AlphaTango
Hey i've read most of your thread and there are 2 main reasons your lifts aren't improving (meaning you won't bench 100kg).

You do not eat anywhere near enough, so many people have said it but your diet still consists of 3 meals that have about half the amount of food of most people regularly exercising let alone trying to gain weight. You need to eat 5/6 times a day and get in way more kcals.

What is your routine like time-wise? This could be a big reason why.

Timings/food for me:
0630 - up breakfast
0900 - snack at work
1130 - lunch
1400 - snack
1700 - evening meal
2000 - snack
2200 - sleep

Lifting priority. Your lifts tend to focus on OHP/Curls..they are your strongest, you seem to enjoy doing them.

Your priority to needs to be Squat/Dead/Bench. You should do these first, lift as heavy as you can, you should be dying afterwards. Then you can crack on with pullups, press, curls, row etc.

The good news is you are very strong in certain areas for your bodyweight. The bad news is you won't bench much more than 70kg without food/squat/dead!

Thanks for the response!

However I don't believe you need x meals a day? Just meet your calories goal at the end of the day

About food, I don't have all the money in the world as a student but I do have all the typical bulk foods and I go shopping on Saturday and Sunday and it I have to make sure it's evenly eaten thought out the week

Must take Leg exercises very easy due to very bowed legs which hurt now and then

I shouldn't be squatting but I've missed it a lot I just had to Squat again but taking it light

Order of exercises have a reason behind it too.

Again appreciate comment!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
B

Weight Increased (+ 2.5kg/5lb)
Form Improved
Form Worse
Fewer Reps
More Reps

Reps X KG (LB)

OHP
5 x 47.5 (104.5) ▪██──-──-──██▪

deloaded.

Pullups
5 x 27.5 (60.5) ▪██──-──-──██▪

redo

some abs on ab crunch machine

Squat

didnt't do cos someone pelleted my thigh at soccer yesterday with their knee
Original post by The_Blade
I've read the advice but some advice I cannot mend unfortunately. You know why my deads and Squat is at that weight yet you try to make everyone think I'm not prioritising them without a good reason. Good man. Good people lift each other up. Not to put them down. You've been negative to me for a long time now. I expect better from someone like you

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've been told by lots of people you need to eat more if you want to make any gains, yet you seem to ignore it. You're even de-loading in the hope that will improve your lifts, rather than just eating enough to perform, recover and grow.

As for your legs, you may well have problems with them that limit you, lots of people do, it's a case of finding solutions to your problems.You can obviously squat/deadlift at least somewhat, which is a start, therefore you can easily improve on technique and find variants that limit discomfort and allow you to improve as much as possible.

Experiment with high/low bar, foot angle/position, width of your stance. Try box squats or hip belt squats. Experiment with conventional and sumo deadlifting. If volume is a problem just do 3X3 or a heavy working single/double and make up some volume with other low impact exercises. Leg press, extensions/curls, lunges etc.

I'm pretty sure there are some people on TSR with similar problems who manage to train? You had a thread on bowed legs and squats and the only thing you seemed worried about was squats making you shorter...
Reply 125
About food, I don't have all the money in the world as a student but I do have all the typical bulk foods and I go shopping on Saturday and Sunday and it I have to make sure it's evenly eaten thought out the week
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm skint until I get paid, £15 a week does me 3000kcal. Bread, oats, soy milk, baked beans, peanut butter, margarine, rice, curry (curry powder, chickpeas, veg, coconut milk) and stuff for meatless load. Most of it from aldi, only pre-existing thing I had was some flour.
Reply 126
You've been told by lots of people you need to eat more if you want to make any gains, yet you seem to ignore it. You're even de-loading in the hope that will improve your lifts, rather than just eating enough to perform, recover and grow.

Havnt ignored it. just cant do much about it. ive got to try progress with what ive got. im aware gaining weight will definitely reach my goal. if somepne can provide a visual representation of what they eat with where they buy their foods (under £30 and at least 2.5kcals) that would be very helpful

As for your legs, you may well have problems with them that limit you, lots of people do, it's a case of finding solutions to your problems.You can obviously squat/deadlift at least somewhat, which is a start, therefore you can easily improve on technique and find variants that limit discomfort and allow you to improve as much as possible.

i dont believe so. anything that involves a squatting movement will have an effect on my shins. as for deads i do sumo so my feet stance is wide. yet i felt some pain on the shins day after

Experiment with high/low bar, foot angle/position, width of your stance. Try box squats or hip belt squats. Experiment with conventional and sumo deadlifting. If volume is a problem just do 3X3 or a heavy working single/double and make up some volume with other low impact exercises. Leg press, extensions/curls, lunges etc.

box squats is very bad for the knees as youre going parallel? i plan to do leg extensions soon

I'm pretty sure there are some people on TSR with similar problems who manage to train? You had a thread on bowed legs and squats and the only thing you seemed worried about was squats making you shorter...
i doubt they will have severely bowed legs. i got mine from dad

efddd
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by BKS
I'm skint until I get paid, £15 a week does me 3000kcal. Bread, oats, soy milk, baked beans, peanut butter, margarine, rice, curry (curry powder, chickpeas, veg, coconut milk) and stuff for meatless load. Most of it from aldi, only pre-existing thing I had was some flour.

i need to see these meals! i dont kn0w h0w u can get 3k with this. i have most of the things u mentioned
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 128
i need to see these meals! i dont kn0w h0w u can get 3k with this. i have most of the things u mentioned

oats & soy milk- 800
beans on toast- 1200
curry with rice 600
2 tbps peanut butter 200
meatless loaf 250

= 3050kcal
in the region of 130g protein

not complicated, mostly lots of bread and oats
I have a multitude of injuries, only one through my own doing

I still add slabs of muscle when I train.

You persistantly ignore advice, visuals mean nothing, the camera lies.

I have those pics btw though will upload when I have time which isn't now or tomorrow

A can of beans and 4 bits of bread = a fair amount of calories and less than a quid

Go to a supermarket lateish at night and go nail the reduced food section for cheap as hell calories

I eat 2500 + calories on less than 20 a week and could eat a lot more for pennies extra

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some people can't be helped from a talent/compliance pov. Tbh if you can't think your own way to a 2 plate bench, it's probably a mental vs physical issue.
1kg of frozen tesco value sausage rolls cost 90p for 5000 calories.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP don't take offense by any of the comments. It's constructive feedback and bro love, though it might sound harsh. We log in to your log to check progress. It wouldn't do you any harm just to add 0.5-1stone. That's not a lot of weight. If it works for you then you've learned something about your body
Original post by RobJ93
1kg of frozen tesco value sausage rolls cost 90p for 5000 calories.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dem arteries doe
Original post by illusionz
Dem arteries doe

Who needs coronary health when you have a bodyweight curl :wink:
Reply 136
A

Form Improved
Form Worse
Fewer Reps
More Reps

Reps X KG (LB)

Bench Press
5 x 65 (143) ▪██──-──-──██▪

harder than expected

Barbell Bicep Curls
3 x 50 (110) ▪██──-──-──██▪

Barbell Rows

5 x 95 (209) ▪██──-──-──██▪

Deadlift 2x5
5 x 110 (242) ▪██──-──-──██▪
5 x 110 (242) ▪██──-──-──██▪

hands were slipping cos they werent on the 'patchy' part of the bar
Reply 137
B

Form Improved
Form Worse
Fewer Reps
More Reps

Reps X KG (LB)

OHP
5 x 50 (110) ▪██──-──-──██▪

easeir than expected

Pullups

form not really improving

Squat
5 x 80 (176) ▪██──-──-──██▪
5 x 80 (176) ▪██──-──-──██▪

abs
Why has your squat not progressed much? Any particular reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Why has your squat not progressed much? Any particular reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Started squatting in 2012 using boxes as a rack but stopped cos dad took one of these boxes and bowed legs would hurt. But I'm back at it now

Not sure if a should exceed 100kg but I took it very slow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest