Turn on thread page Beta

What should I do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK, here's my problem - I'd appreciate some advice! I applied to uni last year, and to be honest, I didn't really know what I wanted. I applied to Oxford and got an interview, but on getting there I realised I could never spend 3 years there and was frankly quite relieved at being rejected. I got offers from Birmingham, Nottingham, Exeter and Reading in the end, and last week I chose Exeter as my firm choice and Nottingham as my insurance. (This is for English.) The problem is, I'm not really all that keen on any of them, and now I'm thinking that if I'm not that bothered about going, I should just take a year out and reapply. I was thinking of getting a job until about March and then a teaching placement somewhere in Africa or South America for about 3-4 months, then coming back in the summer, working a bit more and going to uni in the autumn. I'm really keen on Warwick, but I could also apply to places further away, like York and Newcastle etc. because I won't be having my monthly hospital appointments any more. I'm going to see Exeter once more this term, but if I'm still unsure, I'll withdraw from UCAS.

1) If I withdraw from UCAS, and then put Exeter as one of my choices next year, will they automatically reject me? My careers adviser says not to worry, I'm just a name on a list and they don't really care either way because they're so oversubscribed.

2) Could I risk not getting any offers at all next year because I'd be applying in the year when there's more competition for places? (I'm predicted 4 As and if I get them I should be in a good position because I won't be a risk.)

3) If I were to reapply, where would you recommend to do English? :confused:

Thanks, Katie x x x

ReputationRep:
    PS - not Oxbridge or anywhere in London!

ReputationRep:
    Ask Exeter to defer your place. IE keep your place open but for 2005 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friday's Child)
    OK, here's my problem - I'd appreciate some advice! I applied to uni last year, and to be honest, I didn't really know what I wanted. I applied to Oxford and got an interview, but on getting there I realised I could never spend 3 years there and was frankly quite relieved at being rejected. I got offers from Birmingham, Nottingham, Exeter and Reading in the end, and last week I chose Exeter as my firm choice and Nottingham as my insurance. (This is for English.) The problem is, I'm not really all that keen on any of them, and now I'm thinking that if I'm not that bothered about going, I should just take a year out and reapply. I was thinking of getting a job until about March and then a teaching placement somewhere in Africa or South America for about 3-4 months, then coming back in the summer, working a bit more and going to uni in the autumn. I'm really keen on Warwick, but I could also apply to places further away, like York and Newcastle etc. because I won't be having my monthly hospital appointments any more. I'm going to see Exeter once more this term, but if I'm still unsure, I'll withdraw from UCAS.

1) If I withdraw from UCAS, and then put Exeter as one of my choices next year, will they automatically reject me? My careers adviser says not to worry, I'm just a name on a list and they don't really care either way because they're so oversubscribed.

2) Could I risk not getting any offers at all next year because I'd be applying in the year when there's more competition for places? (I'm predicted 4 As and if I get them I should be in a good position because I won't be a risk.)

3) If I were to reapply, where would you recommend to do English? :confused:

Thanks, Katie x x x

1) I have English at Exeter for my firm choice too! Well, the admissions tutor said at the open day that if you did decide to reapply for whatever reason, you would most likely to be accepted again.

2) I imagine that if you do achieve your predicted grades, you have a good chance of getting in to most places, though if you apply for the most oversubscribed and highly rated courses, you'll need to prove that you did something constructive in your gap year. Teaching abroad or some sort of journalism/writing or literary related activity would indeed sound impressive.

3) Great English courses: Warwick (though *very* oversubscribed - prepare for a lot of competition - I was rejected without interview from here), Nottingham (your insurance), York, UCL (up there with Oxbridge at English according to the Times), Bristol, etc. Or you could even try Oxbridge - you have a chance of getting in with your grades.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.