The Student Room Group

i'm about to ruffle some feathers...

Hello all! I'm a first year psychology student currently trying to get through an assignment that is due in two weeks and i need some outside opinion! This question is probably going to ruffle some feathers but I really need to get some debate going and hopefully some useful information that i could include in my assignment.

The question is: "Is psychology a science?"

DEBATE :biggrin:

A.x
Reply 1
I think so. You don't give people anti-depressants for no reason. There must be some biological stuff going on in their heads that make them depressed (or whatever), or the drugs wouldn't work. And abnormalities like depression are a large part of psychology, so it must be a science.
Original post by Arrow_x
Hello all! I'm a first year psychology student currently trying to get through an assignment that is due in two weeks and i need some outside opinion! This question is probably going to ruffle some feathers but I really need to get some debate going and hopefully some useful information that i could include in my assignment.

The question is: "Is psychology a science?"

DEBATE :biggrin:

A.x

TSR wont do your work for you :P Chalmers "What is Science" book is a good place to start.
It genuinely depends which aspect of it you study, and how deep you study it. I wouldn't say that AS/A2 is a science, but certainly aspects of degree level are, understanding the specific workings of the brain, neurotransmitters, how each area works and what can affect it, how different drugs can affect you..

When most people think of psychology, they think of social psychology and nothing else, which is why people think it's what I like to call "airy fairy". They completely ignore the in depth study of mental illness, biological psychology, not to mention the workings of lab equipment etc.

Quick Reply

Latest