How much is it to change the colour of a car

Watch
daydreamer93
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
And what are the ramifications? I've heard it can have an increase on insurance?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by daydreamer93)
And what are the ramifications? I've heard it can have an increase on insurance?
Depends on the car, the type of paint used/selected, condition of bodywork prior to painting, quality of the finish etc.

Cheap jobs are cheap because they are cheap.

Taken from some re-spray websites:

For a small car (VW Beetle/Mini etc.) Expect to pay £1700 - £2000+ for labour (bodywork in good condition, no rust or dents etc.) PLUS around £300 per litre of paint ( 3 - 4 litres needed). Total cost perhaps £3000+ VAT for a reasonable job.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Price?
Depends on the quality of the job.

You can do it yourself with a gallon of thinners, a couple of newspapers and half a douzen rattle cans for less than 50 quid.
Or you can have the car stripped to a shell, blasted and painted to a concours standard for circa 15k

... and a load of options in the middle!
mackemforever
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by daydreamer93)
If you do permanently change the colour of your car then you will need to notify the DVLA to update your V5C (log book). If you do it using a temporary method such as vinyl wrapping you don't need to, however assuming you're getting it resprayed you will need to update it.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably more than it's worth. Is the colour really that bad?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise