The Student Room Group

is this a poor reference for biology dont feel i will get in anywhere good with this

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You won't have much luck getting the teachers to change it, though you can try if you want. It's not actually a bad reference. Although I don't know you, so maybe you are being radically undersold. What specifically is wrong with it from your point of view?
Reply 2
Original post by nerdcake
You won't have much luck getting the teachers to change it, though you can try if you want. It's not actually a bad reference. Although I don't know you, so maybe you are being radically undersold. What specifically is wrong with it from your point of view?

sorry for slow reply just things like aspects of the course challenging when that is the subject I am applying for. and ,generally' pays attention I know its not awful just I am already on the lower end of my entry requirements. and yes I asked and they said they could change the structure whatever that means
Reply 3
I thought that teachers have to declare to ucas that their reference was not seen by the student because they might influence it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by robhughes
I thought that teachers have to declare to ucas that their reference was not seen by the student because they might influence it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
dunno they refused to change it anyway
Reply 5

and a really irrelevant paragraph from English why would a biology department care about the kite runner for example. I have done other things much more relevant which arent included
I think that's a very detailed reference and if you have any problems then tell your teacher. Persuade them. But it sounds really good so don't worry.:smile:
you have a typo, you wrote inneurobiology when it should be in neurobiology :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Feartheunknown
you have a typo, you wrote inneurobiology when it should be in neurobiology :smile:
haha there is about 100 typos just copy n pasted somehow ended up like that
Reply 9
There are two types of reference: A good pointless reference and a bad relevant reference.

If you're reference is good admissions tutors probably won't remember it. In this case it is pointless and won't be the deciding factor in whether you get made an offer (the assumption is that all teachers give good references, so it's credibly hard to differentiate candidates)
a bad reference on the other hand is memorable and gives reason for rejection and is remembered by admissions. For you I wouldn't worry.

Best of luck anyway :smile:
You shouldn't have seen your references, and you certainly shouldn't be trying to make the teachers rewrite them to suit you.
Reply 11
Original post by Arkasia
You shouldn't have seen your references, and you certainly shouldn't be trying to make the teachers rewrite them to suit you.
it was more edit reference as they had put not enough effort in. they had copied sections of my school report from last year. they have refused to change anyway so thanks for the message!
Reply 12
Original post by 105263
There are two types of reference: A good pointless reference and a bad relevant reference.

If you're reference is good admissions tutors probably won't remember it. In this case it is pointless and won't be the deciding factor in whether you get made an offer (the assumption is that all teachers give good references, so it's credibly hard to differentiate candidates)
a bad reference on the other hand is memorable and gives reason for rejection and is remembered by admissions. For you I wouldn't worry.

Best of luck anyway :smile:
I hope your right
Original post by robhughes

Posted from TSR Mobile

o.O In our school, people booked tutorials with their teachers to write references while they were sitting there so we could check it.
Original post by leedsdb
and a really irrelevant paragraph from English why would a biology department care about the kite runner for example. I have done other things much more relevant which arent included

All your subject teachers have to contribute to the reference, even if the subject is not directly related to the degree. That's totally normal.

Original post by leedsdb
sorry for slow reply just things like aspects of the course challenging when that is the subject I am applying for. and ,generally' pays attention I know its not awful just I am already on the lower end of my entry requirements. and yes I asked and they said they could change the structure whatever that means

They can't lie - if you find it challenging then that's what they have to write down. Taken as a whole, the sentence implies that you are willing to persevere and have made huge progress through your own effort. If your AS grades are less than perfect I can see why they did this, as it suggests that your A2s will be higher grades. As for 'generally focussed and attentive', I wouldn't say the tone of that sentence made me think anything especially bad.
Reply 15
All your subject teachers have to contribute to the reference, even if the subject is not directly related to the degree. That's totally normal.

They can't lie - if you find it challenging then that's what they have to write down. Taken as a whole, the sentence implies that you are willing to persevere and have made huge progress through your own effort. If your AS grades are less than perfect I can see why they did this, as it suggests that your A2s will be higher grades. As for 'generally focussed and attentive', I wouldn't say the tone of that sentence made me think anything especially bad.
true it's not that I wanted them to lie it just seems a stupid thing to put in. Could of said many other things in its place.
I'm not sure posting your reference online is the best idea. There aren't rules against it as such, but it seems like something that could cause problems to me, although I'm not quite sure why.

It's a generally nice, positive reference, though. I do agree the paragraph on Biology is not overwhelming, but it's still mostly positive. I wouldn't complain too much, as your teachers do not have to let you see the reference at all, and could change it to make things more negative!
Reply 17
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I'm not sure posting your reference online is the best idea. There aren't rules against it as such, but it seems like something that could cause problems to me, although I'm not quite sure why.

It's a generally nice, positive reference, though. I do agree the paragraph on Biology is not overwhelming, but it's still mostly positive. I wouldn't complain too much, as your teachers do not have to let you see the reference at all, and could change it to make things more negative!
haha I know what u meen just seeing what people thought about it and thanks ill just have to hope
Original post by leedsdb
haha I know what u meen just seeing what people thought about it and thanks ill just have to hope

Honestly, it's a reasonable reference. Do you think your biology grades are higher than the reference suggests?
Original post by Arkasia

Agree with this. This is such a big flaw in the UCAS system, and makes it pretty unfair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending