The Student Room Group

What would oxbridge think of my grades?

Okay, so I kind of know that oxbridge look at GCSE results in relation to the results most people from you're school achieve.

For example under my circumstances, my school has a 43% A* - C.

I'm predicted:

Mathematics: A*
English Language: A
English Literature: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A*
History: A
Music: A*
French: A
IT: B
Religious Studies: B

Therefore, I would have 3A*s 6As 2Bs. Taking my school's fairly low A*-C % into account, would oxbridge still consider me even though I only have 3A*s and also have 2Bs?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by RG110man
Okay, so I kind of know that oxbridge look at GCSE results in relation to the results most people from you're school achieve.

For example under my circumstances, my school has a 43% A* - C.

I'm predicted:

Mathematics: A*
English Language: A
English Literature: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A*
History: A
Music: A*
French: A
IT: B
Religious Studies: B

Therefore, I would have 3A*s 6As 2Bs. Taking my school's fairly low A*-C % into account, would oxbridge still consider me even though I only have 3A*s and also have 2Bs?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't be a problem, particularly given your school's A*-C. Obviously, your AS results are way more important. Try to get the best GCSE results possible but you don't need a ridiculous string of starred As.
(edited 9 years ago)
Try and get 6-7A*
I don't think 43% is particularly low considering I went to one where I think it was sub 30%

You should aim for as many as you can anyway, don't worry about not having enough A*s until they're set in stone and you can't change them. And even then no point worrying because they're fixed.

All in all try hard now.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
Shouldn't be a problem, particularly given your school's A*-C. Obviously, your AS results are way more important.

Thanks. And yes, obviously my AS results are much more important. I will be taking Maths, FM and physics following this structure:

Year 1: Maths AS and A2 level.

Year 2: FM AS and A2 level & Physics AS and A2 level.

Therefore, hopefully I will have an A* in maths by the end of year 1 (I have already got an A* in maths GCSE which I got in Year 10). That means I'm now using Year 11 for A level maths prep.

I presume that universities will use my Maths full a-level and FM and Physics predicted grades to decide whether to give me an offer as supposed to AS levels, as AS levels will be gone for physics anyway as it is linear from 2015.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Oxford look at your GCSE grades a lot more than Cambridge, a lot of students achieving like 8-10 A*s....but with Cambridge that would be more than fine, don't forget about A Level's and the rest of the application process that can really set you above the rest :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest