The Student Room Group

An msc is marketing worth it? uncdecided

I have graduated in a business and IT related degree, I gained a 2:2. During my time at university I gained marketing experience as a brand ambassador for three years with a big IT company. I made links in the industry, I use them as mentors. I currently work in my students union.

I feel I am able to get into the industry. But is it truly worth it to gain an msc which cost £23,000 from LSE and City. Can someone advice me further? What is the benefit from taking on an msc.
Reply 1
I did the MSc in International Marketing at Strathclyde, and I can honestly say I wouldn't have the job that I have today if I hadn't done the MSc (I'm a middle manager in a marketing related area at a fairly large organisation). At the time I got a huge scholarship and only ended up paying £3,500 or thereabouts instead of nearly £10,000 then. Retrospectively, £10,000 would still have been a good investment for me, but I wouldn't have had the money for it back then.

Why else do an MSc?

The skills and theory I learned was a notch higher level than what I was exposed at during my undergrad (a pure business management degree), the projects were more challenging and there were quite a few really tough team projects. They changed the course content since then, and I can't say for the better.

You may not get in, though, I know a few people who got rejected with a 2:2 for this programme, and I'd assume LSE and City have similarly strict entry requirements, and the brand ambassador experience won't give you much of an edge.
Reply 2
not gonna lie...a 2:2 wont get u in any of lse, ic, ucl, cass... maybe try kcl or qmul?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending