AQA Core Physics Question

Watch this thread
Ravioli99
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Could somebody possibly explain the different forms of generating electricity? For example, wind turbines....etc.....etc.

VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Yes of course what aspects would you like me to explain? How they work? Advantages, disadvantages?
Ravioli99
Rep:
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Yes of course what aspects would you like me to explain? How they work? Advantages, disadvantages?
I understand the advantages and disdvantages, is just the aspect of how the electricity is generated. I understand fully about the solar energy, it is just the other ones, like the wind turbines, the one to do with hydraulics (I think) etc. I did my core last year (y10) but I am retaking it. The main bit Ifailed was this in the Physics. I don't even remember doing it in class. + I'm the only one retaking it, so it's best I o ove my weak bits.
Thank you so much!!!!
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ravioli99)
I understand the advantages and disdvantages, is just the aspect of how the electricity is generated. I understand fully about the solar energy, it is just the other ones, like the wind turbines, the one to do with hydraulics (I think) etc. I did my core last year (y10) but I am retaking it. The main bit Ifailed was this in the Physics. I don't even remember doing it in class. + I'm the only one retaking it, so it's best I o ove my weak bits.
Thank you so much!!!!
Hiya, you don't need to know much about how they are generated for core science but here is a simple explanation of how each method is generated- it may be the one you already have in your textbook?
Wind turbines: the wind passing over the blades makes them rotate and drive a generator @ the top of the narrow tower.

Hydroelectric power: @ a hydroelectric power station water is collected in a reservoir @ the top of a hill. The water is allowed to flow downhill so gravitational potential energy is transferred to kinetic energy which turns turbines @ the bottom of the hill. In a pumped storage system @ times of low demand surplus electricity is used to pump the water back up the hill 2 the reservoir, storing the energy. Then @ times of high demand it can be released down the hill and fall through the turbines transferring the stored energy into electrical energy.

Wave power: Wave movement drives a floating turbine that turns a generator. The electricity is delivered to the national grid on shore by a cable.

Tidal power: If a barrage is built across a river estuary the water @ each high tide can be trapped behind it. When the water is released to fall down to the lower sea level @ low tide it drives turbines.

Hope this helps, I'm not sure how much detail/explanation you needed?
Ravioli99
Rep:
Thank you soooo much!!!! That's more than enough detail - You have been a great help. Cheers once again
Ravioli99
Rep:
Have you done your core exam?? If so what grade did you get (if you don't mind me asking).

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (32)
15.53%
The paper was reasonable (105)
50.97%
Not feeling great about that exam... (49)
23.79%
It was TERRIBLE (20)
9.71%

Watched Threads