The Student Room Group

Looking for someone to talk about Oxford

Hi,
I'm thinking about taking undergraduate at Oxford, applying next year. What comes with this, I need to research the conditions of application first. Also I'd like to gain some more knowlidge about just studying, universities in UK and the Oxford. I'm from Poland so I have not that much information on UK's education system. If there are some good people, especially students from abroad and greatly especially Engineering Science (I aim to there) students from abroad, I'd be pleased to get some contact with you. May be email, Skype or anything at all.
Original post by Tabupl
Hi,
I'm thinking about taking undergraduate at Oxford, applying next year. What comes with this, I need to research the conditions of application first. Also I'd like to gain some more knowlidge about just studying, universities in UK and the Oxford. I'm from Poland so I have not that much information on UK's education system. If there are some good people, especially students from abroad and greatly especially Engineering Science (I aim to there) students from abroad, I'd be pleased to get some contact with you. May be email, Skype or anything at all.

Hi, I'm English but I live in France. I sent in my application to study chemistry in 2015! I find it's much harder to apply from outside the UK, because your all by yourself unlike British students who get a lot of help from their schools. I found the hardest was getting the reference and the predicted grades because teachers from France have no idea how it works. I don't know if my application will be a success (even though I've already got an offer from Manchester) but I'm willing to help if you need advice.
Reply 2
And about Oxford, I've heard recently, that there is something strange about wealth of students. I mean there are groups like rich, less rich and not rich at all. Some can't go in certain places depending on their family status or something. That's what told me a girl whose boyfriend is at Oxford right now. That's a second hand information and I haven't understood it well, so it'd be great to know.
Reply 3
Original post by Tabupl
And about Oxford, I've heard recently, that there is something strange about wealth of students. I mean there are groups like rich, less rich and not rich at all. Some can't go in certain places depending on their family status or something. That's what told me a girl whose boyfriend is at Oxford right now. That's a second hand information and I haven't understood it well, so it'd be great to know.

Some people can't go in certain places in Oxford without a family status? :rofl:

I just love the things people come up with about Oxford.

What's strange about the wealth of students? Take any group of people and you could describe its members as "rich", "less rich" and "not rich at all".
Reply 4
I suppose applying to e.g. University Collage London or Imperial Collage London is easier than to Oxford or Cambridge? I mean of course the process is the same (without including different terms naturally), but getting the approvalnot that hard, is it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tabupl
Hi,

I am not a current student and I don't know anything about engineering, but I think if you want to apply the most important things are: (a) Send off your application via UCAS before October 15th of the year prior to the start date of your course, and (b) register to sit the PAT (Physics Aptitude Test), which all prospective engineering students must take. In the UK this test is taken in your school, I don't know what the arrangements are for overseas candidates.

Really the best place to start finding information is http://www.ox.ac.uk/. Read any information on your course religiously!

Edit: Another more specific link is http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate/applying-for-admission, note that you will probably be required to physically visit Oxford for interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
These are things I already knew : P. And I can write PAT in british embassy.
Original post by Noble.
Some people can't go in certain places in Oxford without a family status? :rofl:

I just love the things people come up with about Oxford.

What's strange about the wealth of students? Take any group of people and you could describe its members as "rich", "less rich" and "not rich at all".

It's probably because of films like The Riot Club. Or people think it's like Yale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Tabupl
These are things I already knew : P. And I can write PAT in british embassy.

I'm looking to apply to Oxford next year for a physics degree - so I'll have to take the PAT too! :tongue:
Reply 9
I looked into an example test and it didn't look so easy, but not really hard too. I think I have to bear a bit of preaparation to it. What's the typical amount of points you need to get to stand a good chance of being invited (not counting UCAS appliance of coures).
Reply 10
Original post by Tabupl
I looked into an example test and it didn't look so easy, but not really hard too. I think I have to bear a bit of preaparation to it. What's the typical amount of points you need to get to stand a good chance of being invited (not counting UCAS appliance of coures).

For this year you have to get 47% in the PAT to get an interview - bearing in mind that's for a physics degree and not engineering.
Reply 11
And if you want to study physics you probably know. Is there a job after that degree in UK/Europe? In my country if you studied physics you could be teacher at last, but the greatest chance is that you would be unemployed...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending