Help on Management! Watch

CemCakantemur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm studying Economics and Management at Leicester University and although the Economics seems easy so far. I'm clueless as to what Management sciences is about. Keywords such as Capitalism and Neo-Liberalism etc pop up and I was wondering if I can read a book which will introduce me to all these keywords which will help me on this course. I also do not understand how to approach questions in the field of management.

For instance: 1. What characterised the Swedish Social Democratic model up to the early 1990s (you may want to divide your analysis into subheadings of economic policies, politics and industrial relations)?

How is that a management question? When I see the question my Economics mindset takes off...
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CemCakantemur)
I'm studying Economics and Management at Leicester University and although the Economics seems easy so far. I'm clueless as to what Management sciences is about. Keywords such as Capitalism and Neo-Liberalism etc pop up and I was wondering if I can read a book which will introduce me to all these keywords which will help me on this course. I also do not understand how to approach questions in the field of management.

For instance: 1. What characterised the Swedish Social Democratic model up to the early 1990s (you may want to divide your analysis into subheadings of economic policies, politics and industrial relations)?

How is that a management question? When I see the question my Economics mindset takes off...
Capitalism, Neo-Liberalism, Wikipedia can help with the basic definitions for those - both of these belong in the realm of Economics though, more specifically perhaps macroeconomics, just like your example question.

'Management Science' is something completely different, again Wikipedia is your helping hand here:

management science (MS) is an interdisciplinary branch of applied mathematics devoted to optimal decision planning.
While 'management studies' is about the business operations and business strategy, it can include some economics, but mostly that which impacts businesses (microeconomics) with only a minor focus on macroeconomic issues, areas of study include accounting & finance, human resources and organisational studies, marketing, business information systems, operations management & logistics / supply chain, strategy.

Having said this, macroeconomics impacts on management/businesses, as businesses within different economic environments / systems act differently / have to act differently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%