Applying for MPhil in Advanced Chemical Engineering after obtaining an MEng?

Watch
ioclops
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I am doing chemical engineering meng(hons) at another university and I'm wondering it would be worth it for me to apply for a taught MPhil (1 year) in Advanced Chemical Engineering at Cambridge after I graduate? The main reason I want to do it is because I want to learn more and improve my job prospects. I heard an MPhil at Cambridge is the same as a master's at undergraduate level so it would seem like I'll be learning the sames things all over again but after looking at the things I will learn for my 4th undergraduate year and comparing it to what I will learn from the MPhil at Cambridge, I realized that the MPhil in Cambridge offers a lot more core chemical engineering subjects.

The MPhil also not only teaches chemical engineering but also teaches the business side of it all such as technology management, which is another added benefit as it would be useful for going into industry, I think. I am planning to work hard during undergraduate studies so that I can get a scholarship to study at Cambridge after I graduate. But the question is: Would it be worth it?

I'm also thinking of just getting a BEng and then studying the MPhil at Cambridge with a scholarship. That way I can save 1 years worth of tuition fees. But the MPhil at Cambridge isn't accredited which means I'll have to add in more work in order to become chartered.

My final concern is that if I have an MPhil in something, employers might see it as a failed PhD. So in the end it might actually affect my chances of getting a job. I really don't know.
Viceroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds like it would be worth it, but there's no guarantee of getting a scholarship. Any funding coming directly from Cambridge (or external bodies, for that matter) is massively competitive.

No one would see an MPhil as a 'failed PhD,' given that, well, it isn't a PhD! If you wanted to do a PhD, you'd have applied for one...
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Viceroy)
No one would see an MPhil as a 'failed PhD,' given that, well, it isn't a PhD! If you wanted to do a PhD, you'd have applied for one...
Some might. MPhil can sometimes be awarded to students who start but don't complete their PhD.
Viceroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Some might. MPhil can sometimes be awarded to students who start but don't complete their PhD.
I guess it's possible, but if on your CV you say that you spent a year on your MPhil, not 4 years on your MPhil (indicating that you didn't finish your PhD), it should be clear what your degree goal was.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No (128)
71.11%

Watched Threads