The Student Room Group

Computer Science

Firstly, regarding Mathematics and Computer Science. I'm studying Mathematics in my Access course and I want to talk about that in my Statement. I know Mathematics has and influence on Computer Science but I don't really know what to say.

I'm also studying programming(HTML, CSS, Visual Basic and C++), photoshop skills and word processing and I'm struggling to incorporate it into my personal statement.
Only include the sorts of things that you will study and say why they are interesting. That includes particular areas of maths altho it's best to focus on stuff you do outside your access course
My approach would be to say what I enjoy about mathematics and why I believe studying mathematics will give me a good foundation of knowledge with which to study computer science. Computer Science and Mathematics are both about problem solving too, so perhaps you can discuss whether you enjoy problem solving.

To incorporate your studies of programming, photoshop etc into your personal statement, why not discuss the reasons you are studying them. Is it just to improve yourself academically? Do you enjoy these subjects enough that you are pursuing studying them in your own time? Perhaps you could discuss the challenges of studying them. Perhaps you have already achieved something by creating a program you are proud of and you could mention that and talk about the things you have learnt.

If you have support at your college to help with personal statement writing, such as your personal tutor, definitely seek advice from them too and discuss your ideas with them. They won't be able to write your personal statement for you obviously but they can definitely discuss your ideas with you.

Best of luck with it.
Reply 3
One of the most important things that often gets overlooked in a personal statement is coming across as a person, rather than a lost of bull**** things that you think they want to hear, especially in this kinda course. I applied for Electromechanical last year, having no related experience or much of an idea as to what the course entailed, yet in was told by several interviewers that it was one of the best statements they'd read, despite it not being very technical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending