The Student Room Group

How long after your coil did you have sex?

I read that you should give it at least 24 hours which I will be as I have a mild period type pain. Just wondered how long others have waited and what they'd advise. It's the mirena if that makes any difference.

Edit: I waited 4 days but that was the soonest I was seeing my partner anyway. Probably would've been fine after 3. If anyone comes to this thread looking for an answer I'd say at least 48 hours and go off how you're feeling after that. If you're still feeling crampy then don't do it.
(edited 9 years ago)

How long after your coil did you have sex?

I read that you should give it at least 24 hours which I will be as I have a mild period type pain. Just wondered how long others have waited and what they'd advise. It's the mirena if that makes any difference.

Edit: I waited 4 days but that was the soonest I was seeing my partner anyway. Probably would've been fine after 3. If anyone comes to this thread looking for an answer I'd say at least 48 hours and go off how you're feeling after that. If you're still feeling crampy then don't do it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I didn't have sex for a week and a half after mine was fitted as Im in a semi-long distance relationship but I suppose if I weren't I would've waited about 4 days as thats when I stopped cramping and spotting. I remember the nurse telling me to leave it at least 48 hours before having sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Doesnt it jab the end of partners willy..?
Original post by Limpopo
Doesnt it jab the end of partners willy..?

The coil is inside the womb, not inside the vagina, so no. There are threads that hang from the cervix into the vagina (to be able to check its not come out and to remove it when the time comes) and those can sometimes be felt, but they'd only poke if they were cut far too short, most of the time they curl up around the cervix, so its fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
The coil is inside the womb, not inside the vagina, so no. There are threads that hang from the cervix into the vagina (to be able to check its not come out and to remove it when the time comes) and those can sometimes be felt, but they'd only poke if they were cut far too short, most of the time they curl up around the cervix, so its fine.

Thanks for enlightenment. I thought there used to be a type that sat in the cervix. What if it gets lost in there..can that happen and how would they get it out if the threads became detached?
Original post by Limpopo
Thanks for enlightenment. I thought there used to be a type that sat in the cervix. What if it gets lost in there..can that happen and how would they get it out if the threads became detached?

It can get lost, there's nowhere else for it to go, it can occasionally fall out, sometimes the body rejects is, usually shortly after its been inserted. It is extremely unlikely that the strings for detatch, they're very strong and very well attached to the coil. The strings are there so you can check its still in place, so if you couldn't feel them, they'd probably do an ultrasound to check its still there/the placement and if the strings had detached, they would have to give you something to soften and open the cervix so it could be removed.

All this is very unlikely to happen, there is some risk of it coming out, especially in the first few weeks of having it as I said, but it can't get lost and the risk of the strings detatching is lower than the risk of pregnancy on it (and this is one of the most reliable contraceptions.

As with any contraception, its good to do your research on the pros, cons and risks first, and weigh up whether or not it will suit you.
Reply 7
Original post by Limpopo

That'd be the cap/diaphragm, completely different thing to a coil.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest