The Student Room Group

Autodidact Enquires : Business

Advise me:
I'm in my first year studying Business and Management with a view to starting SMEs ASAP.

I find myself spending countless hours researching entrepreneurship, red tape, legal structures of small businesses, business plans, funding, industry analysis and the like: the sort of practical, no-nonsense information necessary for actually implementing the ambition of starting a business.

The problem: I'm spending little to no time studying the course material, and am rapidly becoming disenchanted by my seminars and lectures, finding their information only about 25% useful for what I'm trying to achieve. Naturally, with this attitude I'm going to struggle to meet the expectations of the university.

My questions:

1) Any business students/graduates who can relate to this, what, if anything, can be done to increase engagement with the over-broad course content?

2) Any other autodidacts who have difficulty with guided learning in this way? I'd like to chat about it.

3) Anyone with any advice or resources I could use to further my dratted self-learning either towards my goal or bus/mgmt in general.

Responses will be warmly received; mild concern gaining momentum.

Quick Reply

Latest