The Student Room Group

Are today's youth more socially inept than their predeccessors?

I'm inclined to think so. Discuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That double "c" sure doesn't look right... Damn Samsung.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, it's predecessors. HTC FTW

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is "socially inept" defined?
idk how you'd even test that
Original post by ZSHNZ
Yes, it's predecessors. HTC FTW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it definitely an "o" rather than "e?" Doubting everything now :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Musie Suzie
Is it definitely an "o" rather than "e?" Doubting everything now :tongue:

If i came up to you in the street to talk to you, and making my intentions clear that I am attracted to you would you slap me?
No, the ones who are just have more of a voice thanks to the internet.
Original post by Musie Suzie
I'm inclined to think so. Discuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's more acceptable to be a socially inept teen than it once was however i think we are more intelligent and aware if the world around us, personally I find all my friends to be witty and kind. Maybe more shy or awkward but not strangely inept just thankfully mental health problems like anxiety are more acceptable
The internet and electronic communication generally (text, apps, email etc) have rendered a lot of people pretty useless at communicating with each other, especially strangers. I find it kind of bemusing how in a lot of the country you can walk past the same people day after day in the street and barely even say hello, or stand at a bus stop where you're all bored stupid and say nothing to each other. In most countries people strike up a conversation, but British people seem almost scared to engage with people in person anymore. As I've got older I've noticed how many people I know (and indeed often myself) feel lonely even though we're literally surrounded by people. I wonder if modern technology has made that more of a problem than it once was.
Judging by TSR, yes. The average user has become significantly more socially inept than they were 5 years ago.

Judging by the young people I actually know in reality, no.

So there are two options: either people on TSR have become significantly dorkier than your average student, or the young people I know are significantly more sociable (this could be due to selection bias as I know them through a sports club).

Thoughts?

Quick Reply