The Student Room Group

Student Finance- When Studying Overseas

Hi there!

I'm sure there is already a thread relating to this but I am new to The Student Room so I thought I would just make a new one.

I am seriously considering doing my degree overseas, preferably at a Swedish or Danish university, and I have some questions about student finance. Tuition fees would be free there but what about a loan for housing/living expenses? Has anyone had an experience like this or have any knowledge about it? Also, just to say, borrowing money from my parents isn't really an option at this point so everything would have to be a loan.

I would be grateful for any help with this!!
Reply 1
There was an article in the Guardian about Brits at Dutch unis with interviews and case studies. In short, student finance will NOT provide loans for housing/living expenses when you study abroad for BA.
Original post by lilliflower
Hi there!

I'm sure there is already a thread relating to this but I am new to The Student Room so I thought I would just make a new one.

I am seriously considering doing my degree overseas, preferably at a Swedish or Danish university, and I have some questions about student finance. Tuition fees would be free there but what about a loan for housing/living expenses? Has anyone had an experience like this or have any knowledge about it? Also, just to say, borrowing money from my parents isn't really an option at this point so everything would have to be a loan.

I would be grateful for any help with this!!

There are no loans available from the UK to study abroad.
Original post by jelly1000
There are no loans available from the UK to study abroad.

To confirm unfortunately you cannot attain a loan to study abroad from the UK. However as you're aware, EU students can take advantage of the loan system within the country they wish to study in but that will just cover tuition fees.

If I hear of any countries that may change their policies I'll keep you posted on this thread - good luck :smile:
Reply 4
I don't know about Denmark, but to be eligible for Swedish student finance you have to prove you have lived in Sweden for at least 3 out of the last 5 years. Even if you have Swedish citizenship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending